Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Zendala Dare #109

Hey there BOF's!  That's Bright Owl Followers. Yep, just made that up but I kinda like it.  I hope you are all having a fantastic week.  Things are tense here in northern California.  If you haven't heard, we have been having some devastating wild fires.  It started about two weeks ago with two large fires in the hills of Lake County.  The loss of structures was not as great as it could have been but we did lose a firefighter which is of course devastating.  This latest fire, the Valley Fire, grew to 40,000 acres in less than 12 hours!  It has displaced many of my co-workers, leveled other co-workers houses to ash, claimed the life of one civilian, took the life of numerous farm animals and pets and caused serious burns to 4 firefighters on a helicopter crew.  I am fortunate and blessed to not be in any danger but it is impacting our hospitals and emergency medical resources so I am picking up extra shifts where I can.  I am just counting my blessings that my family and friends are safe, my pets are ok, and my co-workers were not among the injured.   If you are the praying type, we would appreciate any you could send our way. 

Let's move onto something a bit lighter:

Zendala Dare #109

As many of you know, I usually create my templates in spurts and then save them for when I need them.  Sometimes as I'm going back through I notice that my love (or hate significant dislike) for them waivers.  This is one of those. 


When I first created this template I wasn't in love.  Even though I may not be thrilled with them, I usually don't delete them because it takes some significant time to get them just right and it seems wasteful to toss them.  I still have some from when I started the Dare 3 years ago that I have never used!  Anyways, I wasn't thrilled with the outside angles of this template but when I was choosing a template yesterday this one sort of spoke to me.  I think it said "Why do you hate me!" which of course made me feel guilty so I decided to use it.

Tangles:  DL Sunray, Courant, Coroom

None of these tangles are new to me but what is new is the amount of shading I did.  I'm not great at shading but I'm trying to get better.  I decided to actually dig out my art pencils this week and try something softer so I shaded the whole thing using a 5B pencil.  I don't know much about artsy stuff so I'm not sure if I was even using the right one but it did feel softer and blend easier than the Zentangle pencil I normally use.  I think I was able to achieve more definition, especially in the center and I am pleased with the result.  

What will you do with this template?
I can't wait to see!
Have a great week!

15 comments:

  1. Oh noes~ I'm so sorry to hear about the fires. Indonesia is currently experiencing fires too and the wind is blowing the smoke towards where I live (Singapore) and causing really bad haze here... I'm glad people you know personally are all safe.

    The template looks lovely. I'm glad you posted it. ^-^

    The higher the number of the pencil, the softer the lead. So 9B is really soft; a 5B is a little harder; and I would assume the Zentangle pencil to be a regular 2B. The hardest lead in the market, I think, would probably be a 2H.

    I'll definitely be creating a Zendala this week. Thank you for hosting every week. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the hardest lead is a 9H, which is much harder than the 2 H and therefore makes a much lighter mark. Although my pencils range from a very soft 9B to that very hard 9H, I rarely use any harder than 3H... The Zentangle pencils seem to be around HB on the softness scale, or just about mid-way through the range.

      Delete
  2. I love your Zendalas. Is there a link to get the dares from 101 to the present on your web site? I may have missed one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, There is a link for every Zendala Dare. It is always in the header but I only update it about once a month so it's not always completely current. I just finished updating it today so Zendala Dare 1-109 are listed there. Here is the link. http://thebrightowl.blogspot.com/p/zendala-dare.html

      Delete
  3. The news stations in So.Cal have been covering the fires in No.Cal, horrible. I am the praying type and have added No.Cal to my list. Stay safe and I love your zentangles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be thinking of and praying for you and those in the path of the fires. Bless you for being there to help.

    This week's zendala is quite intriguing. Can't wait to start it.
    I've recently looked back over all my zendalas to see which ones I've missed. Very few, actually. I'm going to be working on those so I'll have a complete set. I've sold or given away quite a few, but I have pictures of all of them.

    It is really amazing the beautiful set of work that I have from your Zendala Dares. Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this each week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fires are so terrifying. Controlling them is so difficult. I am thinking of all of you who are dealing with this and hoping for a quick end.

    I'm so glad you posted this template, Erin. I think it is a great one to work with. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts (for me thoughts and prayers are the same) are with all people and animals in and around the fires. We see it in the news in the Netherlands too.
    Love the template and wished I was not so very tired as I am now so I could start tonight. But ..... tomorrow night will be the night to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artsy stuff. Hahaha! You sound like me! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry I left two links! I'd remove if I could!

    I love what you did with this Zendala Erin - you created a very cool effect - almost like a negative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for entering my name 3 times in your list of submissions. I simply couldn't control this Mr Linky and adjust the data the way I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Erin!! Just want to say, I know you were not in love with this template,......but I just loved it!!! It had so much movement to it, all on it's own! So thank you for allowing your little voice of guilt speak to you ;0) Your finished Zendala is gorgeous!! Nice work!
    And I just want to let you know that you and all those that live in N CA are definitely in my prayers!!! My uncle lives up that way too so, I'm a prayin!!!
    (((hugs))) :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Erin,

    I love your Zendala Dare and it was a lot of fun to tangle this week´s template. Thank you!
    I also like your tile. The shading is great.
    Greatings
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Erin! I hope your life is calmer this week. You are in my thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to give us this lovely template.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sneaking my link in last minute. Been a very hectic week, though not as crazy as yours sounds. Hope all is calmer for you this week!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley