Saturday, March 1, 2014

Zendala Dare #93 - Snowflake Surprise

Well, it's been a VERY hectic two weeks but I'm back.  Testing, lectures, a small new business venture, and a weekend get away have kept me very busy.  I tend to think that I handle stress well but these last two weeks have really pushed me to the brink.  I think all is well now and I feel much more relaxed but I'm sure that stress monster is sure to rear it's ugly head again in a few weeks so bear with me!

Last weekend my husband and I ventured an hour away to the town of Sonoma where the hubby's sister and husban live along with my adorable nephew Calvin.  My husband and I have a very close relationship to our other nieces and nephew but due to distance we don't see Calvin as much.  We are trying to rectify that by heading to there house every couple of weeks for an overnight and some very much needed Auntie and Uncle time.  

The weather was beautiful so we decided a trip to Train Town was in order.  Train Town has a built to scale mini train ride along with a few other age appropriate rides.  We took my niece Avery with us so that Calvin would have a companion.  The kids had a great time and so did Auntie Erin and Uncle Ben!

I think she's a natural.

Fast friends

I think his hand on her knee is
beyond adorable

He's pretty excited about something

Somebody loves feeding the llama

After feeding the white llama she said she had
to feed the brown one "Because he had a look
of jealousy in his face".  Umm, ok.

Calvin has no fear of heights

Zendala Dare #93 - Snowflake Surprise

I mentioned above that I was on a weekend getaway.  The hubby and  I have joined a few other families at a cabin in the Sierras for lots of food, fun, games, and shenanigans.  The snow isn't as great as we would have hoped but at least there is SOME snow.  Since it is the first Zendala Dare of the month and I need to give you an added challenge I thought that creating a snowflake might be fun.  I have picked a template that I think lends itself to the challenge.  Now all you have to do is use it to create a Zendala representative of your vision of a snowflake.  

Here's what you have to work with:




My first attempt was a little heavy handed.  It looks more industrial that snowflake but, oh well.

Tangles:  Caviar, linework

My second attempt is closer to what I had in mind.  I'm not sure if it is more reminiscent of a snowflake because it's white or because it's more airy, but either way, I like this one more.

Tangles: Ramy, Betweed, Zinger
The tile above also uses Betweed because that is my "gift" tangle from Carmela.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about you can read about it here.  Just as a side note:  I have noticed that some readers are commenting that they "forgot to use the gift tangle".  The gift tangles were a side challenge for me, not necessarily for my readers.  By all means, if you would like to try out the new tangle I am using that week, go ahead.  New tangles are always a good thing!  I just don't want you to think you are obligated.

Please remember to link up below and have a great week!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new task, Erin. What adorable photos. Those kids are cute and so are those lovely llamas. One point about the dare. Snowflakes are always 6 sided and the template is - as far as I can judge - 8 sided. That may cause problems, although, in the world of zen doodling, bending nature is part of the fun! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, I just looked it up and you are correct! I had no idea. Oh well, it just needs to be "snowflake-esque". Zentangle isn't supposed to be representative anyhow, right? lol

      Delete
    2. Erin! Sure. And it's really not important. Actually, many of the designs I saw on the net had more than 6 points, especially some designed for kids to copy. I've just posted an attempt that has no snowflake feeling about it at all! I'm going to try again!

      Delete
  2. Sorry. Miscounted. There are 10 sides to the template!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great photos - looks like plenty of sunshine too, which is what I'm hoping will arrive here soon too! Love the idea of a snowflake zendala and am really in need of a 'fix' after a week off. Makes us appreciate you even more, Erin! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin. This looks like a fun challenge. I have been looking at snowflakes too so it fitting or fudging hexagonals into the template will be fun. Enjoy your weekend with your niece and nephew and the sunshine. Even in the UK we have had some sun this week. Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok i read all that and this is what i have to say about it all - what small business venture??? (hahahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got to use my new colored pens! This was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great pictures of the kids; they look adorable together. How old are they? You've probably mentioned previously, and I just wasn't paying attention.
    As for this week's Dare, it was another great one. As I mentioned in my blog, at first I couldn't see a snowflake in your template. But as I looked at it more carefully, the ideas just jumped right out at me. Keep them coming, Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was my first attempt at a Zendala and I really enjoyed it :o)
    Not sure mine looks much like a snowflake though ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great template, Erin. I like both your zendala's and love the difference between them.
    Mine has the sun in it, because this sun was not ment te be there but it jsu appeared while tangling. the miracle of Zentangle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first attempt at a Zendala and I'll be doing another soon I think :) Loved reading your blog and seeing the great pictures of the kids enjoying themselves. Thanks for the dare x

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I liked the template, no matter now hard I tried I could not come up with anything that represented a snowflake. Sorry that you did not have much snow as you would have liked. I am sure that if you had asked some of us in the Mid-west and the East coast, someone would have been willing to try to work out something to send some of ours. We have set records for snow fall in a winter here. We are ready for some warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is so much child adorable-ness going on in your pictures from your trip... it makes my ovaries cry because I have no cute babies of my own!! (hahaha, ok, not crying more like just whining)
    I'm having such a hard time with this one! The weather here in VA has been bonkers & I'm so over the cold & the snow that even the thought of a beautiful snowflake that is one of natures most perfect creations is giving me serious heartburn! Bring on the warm weather! (& maybe some zendala inspirations that put us all in a spring-time kind of mindset??)

    ReplyDelete
  13. At the last minute I managed to squeeze in my cheater's snowflakes. I feel a little bit guilty, because here in Germany the weather is so mild already. It's not always loke that, though, we had long and exhausting winters here, too. Anyway, thank you for this really challenging task :D

    Those kids are too cute for words and your trip looks exciting. I too love being an aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine didn't come out looking like a snowflake but I really enjoyed it.
    Thank you so much for all your zendala templates. I can't get enough of them. But I sure think you deserve a rest.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley