Saturday, January 4, 2014

Zendala Dare #86 - Grateful


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I hope you are all having a wonderful start to this New Year!  I am looking forward to good health, exciting adventures, spending time with family and friends, graduating for nursing school and of course 50+ new Zendala Dares!

New Years week for me has been about a little bit of fun and a whole bunch of work!  Last Sunday the hubby and I went to his sisters house in Sonoma so we could celebrate our nephew Calvin's 3rd birthday.  Our niece Avery lives nearby so we decided to pick her up so she could join in the fun.


The birthday boy Calvin getting ready to blow out his candles.




Ben's second cousin Tenaya pushing Avery on the way to
small swing!




An impromptu display of seagulls that appeared overhead.
Luckily nobody got "hit"!




I guess Avery wasn't really into this selfie.




Me and my sister-in-law Sue.




The hubby explaining the importance of good 
fishing gear to Calvin.




Avery and Calvin checking out the loot!




A good old fashioned hayride.

I had to work a 72 hour shift on the ambulance this week and was going to miss out on New Years eve AND New Years day with the hubby so we decided to take a ride out to the coast on Monday.  


Coleman Valley Road always has beautiful views.




The tide was very low that day.





Luckily, New Years Eve was pretty uneventful and my partner and I managed to get some dinner to celebrate.

Our New Years Eve dinner of crab cakes, Caeser salad,
roast chicken, pasta, and cheesecake.
This may look like a simple dinner but any day that you can actually order, pay for, pick up AND eat your dinner while working on an ambulance, is a good day.  We were pretty excited.  Plus, dinner was delish!

All in all, a great end to a mediocre year but I have high hopes for the next 365 days so why not start with a Zendala Dare!

Zendala Dare #86 - Grateful

As the new year approached I was beginning to have blogger guilt about not having a new year post.  I had resigned myself to not bothering with it but as I was browsing Facebook I came across a project call 365grateful.  The basic gist is that everyday you take a picture of something you are grateful for.  It seemed like an easy way to be aware and appreciative so I decided to participate and did write a post about it in honor of the new year.  

Soon after I wrote that post I started to see blog posts about people picking a special word for the year.  You pick a word that you consciously try to live by for the next 12 months.  This seemed like a good idea also and since I was already participating in the 365grateful project I decided "Why mess with a good thing?".  So I stuck with "Grateful" for my word this year.

Since it is the first challenge of the month (and in this case the year! Yay!) there is an added requirement for the Zendala Dare.  Lets start with the template:




You have probably already noticed that this template is a little different.  I don't think I have every posted a template with this much negative space in the middle.  I made this template three or fours months ago but never felt it was right.  It has always looked like a frame to me so when I decided to use the word Grateful as my prompt this week I felt this was the perfect template.

Your challenge this week is to tangle this frame and then fill it with something you are grateful for.  Maybe fill it with a tangle that brings you some Zen.  Are you grateful for the beauty of nature?  How about a tangled garden?  How about a picture or a collage?  Adding some text in the frame is a great option too!  Fill the frame with anything you like, as long as it is something you are grateful for.


I am grateful for these ten individuals:

Avery, Bailey, Brenna, Bruno, Calvin, Cole, Dominic,
Nolan, Owen, and Tony

I am a very dedicated Auntie.  Four of them are blood and I "adopted" the other six.  My husband and I feel so lucky to be included in their lives.  For this I am truly grateful.  


If you would like to follow my 365grateful project on Instagram 
click here!  

How about starting your own 365grateful project?  You may
be surprised how much you have to be grateful for.


8 comments:

  1. I didn't see it that way until you commented on it! Everyone see something different. Now that's all I will be able to think about when I look at it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's exactly what I thought. My husband is a guitar player...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea Erin, to let us think about what we are grateful for. Have you seen the challenge of Dilip Patel some time agon, about gratitude?
    Here is the link:
    http://z-inspirationind.blogspot.in/2013/07/z-inspiration-1.html

    I wish you a GREAT 2014!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is quite a challenge for me, Erin, but a very lovely idea. I'm sorry you had to work over the celebrations but you look as though you enjoyed your time and partied when you could. All the very best for 2014. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, yeah! got an idea for this one already! now i just need to find time to follow through :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you Erin and to your family. To start off, I am grateful for you! Thanks for the intimate sharing of your life with your family. Thanks, too for finding time to keep me challenged with your creative templates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an interesting challenge, I thought of guitar picks also. Mine did not turn out exactly as I had planned. I think your idea of varying each one was a good one. Thanks for all your work to challenge us. Looking forward to more throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley