Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A new tangle, Dutch babies, and Emergency Zendalas

I've been trying to catch up with some of the things on my to do list and posting my new tangle Solow was at the top of the list.  



Get a printable PDF of the step out for Solow here.

Solow came about while I was just dotting down some ideas one day on a piece of scratch paper.  I looked to see if there was already a tangle like Solow out there.  I found a few that were similar, but not that similar and none of them used a similar step out so I decided to post my version.  The down side of this tangle is that it can be a little tricky to be consistent.  The upside is that it doesn't seem to matter.  I have quite a few inconsistencies in the example at the bottom and even I can't really tell! I named it Solow because it reminded me of a big stack of red Solo cups and how you can put one hand on each end of the stack and it will lengthen and bend if the stack is high enough.  This tangle is especially fun if you alternate rows.  I hope you enjoy it!



* * * * * * * * * * * 

As I had written in my previous post, I had my 4 year old niece this  weekend.  There is nothing cuter than a 4 year old getting 2 inches from your face while you are attempting to sleep and whispering "Auntie, its time to get up and make Dutch babies" at 7:30 in the morning.  Ok, I lied.  Its a whole lot cuter when she does it at 9:00 but I'll take it either way.  

Have you ever had a dutch baby? It's sort of like a cross between a crepe and pancake.   It's easy, delicious, inexpensive and you probably have everything you need to make it already in the pantry.  I keep turkey sausage or bacon in the freezer, cut up some fresh fruit and you have a super tasty breakfast.  Here's my recipe:


Apple Dutch Baby

 Dutch Baby

2 eggs, room temperature

4 tbls. butter

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup milk

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2.  Melt butter in a 10 inch non stick skillet.

3.  Whisk sugar, flour, eggs and milk together until most of the lumps are gone.  

4.  When butter is melted pour batter into pan and cook on stovetop until batter starts to set around the edges, approx. 1 minute.

5.  Move skillet to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until dutch baby is golden brown around the edges and puffy.

6.  Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup.  

Note:  The dutch baby in the picture is a version I sometimes do with apples.  To make an apple version peel, core and slice 1 apple and saute in the butter with about one tablespoon sugar.  When the apple has softened and most of the water from the apple has evaporated pour in the batter and follow the rest of the directions as above.  This would also probably be great with blueberries or cherries.  


* * * * * * * * * * *

The Diva Challenge this week was to use the tangles Knightsbridge and Tipple.  These two official tangles are both very easy but like the Diva had said, I don't find myself using them very much.  It was nice to be able to focus on them this week and get back to basics.

Tangles:  Knightsbridge, Tipple

* * * * * * * * * * * 

So like I said, I had the niece all weekend.  I have already apologized for Zendala Dare #74 being late because I was trying to get her to settle down for the evening but I think you should really see the full extent of what I was dealing with.



video

I take full responsibility for being a bad auntie and letting her have too much sugar but she was really amped up.  I'm lucky that she is usually very well behaved but between the singing, dancing, and going through every single thing on my coffee table, I was exhausted.  And that doesn't even include when she insisted on modeling the multi colored, mohawk, light up wig I had bought her!  

I have had to postpone the Zendala Dare a few times and each time it happens I notice that my blog stats show that my loyal readers have been checking (and checking and checking and checking) to see if the Dare has been posted.  It's almost as if you guys are addicted!  I decided I should give you an emergency "fix."  I am posting a link to a new folder I am calling "Emergency Zendalas". You can access these at any time when you really need a new Zendala fix.  I will be adding more to the folder as time allows depending on how many requests I have for additional templates.


I am including a link up in case anyone would like to share their work.  



I hope you all have a wonderful week.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Erin, for the emergency zendalas! I'm glad you had such a great (and exhausting) time with the four year old -:), I'm Dutch, but have never heard of this Dutch Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do dutch babies as well but slightly different. I put the butter in a baking dish and melt it in the oven as it pre-heats. Then I pour the batter into the hot pan with the butter and cook. Otherwise the recipe is the same. My family likes eating it with canned pie filling (apple or berry) as the topping.

    And boy oh boy did you hype up that girl! very cute but I would have gone completely bonkers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I love your challenge tile. The design is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I like to thank you for the lovely new tangle Solow.
    And a great idea to give us the emergency Zendalas.
    Like Annemarie I also never heard about the Dutch Baby, It looks good, and I love to try it once but I have to find out how many grams a cup is and how much 4 tbls of butter. In Holland we don't work with that, only in grams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...I forgot to mention that I love your Knightbridge and Tipple tile :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent new tangle - have to try it on for size. Beautiful duo tangle tile! You niece has a personality - good, because bland is just not on. Thank you for creating the zendala fix stash (you work in healthcare, so you understand). Dutch baby is yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Erin, for the emergency zendalas!! Fine Idea. I like your lovely challenge tile too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your "Dutch Babies" remind me of British "Toad in the hole" which is actually pork sausages backed in a pancake mixture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the energy of your niece, ain't sugar a wunnerful thang? The emergency Zendala templates are great, thanks for all your work. Love your challenge tile, BLT Jooz and your happy little Tipple Bubbles play so nicely together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your challenge tile reminds me of an octopus, I adore it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your knightsbridge and tipple. Very cool!

    Your niece is adorable. Boy, do I wish I had energy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, found Emergency Zendala 3 really tricky. Love the look of the Dutch Babies... Axxx

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley