Saturday, August 3, 2013

Zendala Dare #68 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I'd love to tell you that I had a super exciting weekend full of fun and new experiences.  That would be a big fat lie though.   Ran some errands, went to work, and got a good amount of tangling in. Other than that, pretty boring.  Sorry.

So let's skip to the good stuff, shall we?

Zendala Dare #68

Can you believe it's already August?  I was in Michael's today and they already have the Halloween merchandise out.  It's 3 months away people!  Geez, give us a minute to breath.  Ok.  I'm done.  Back to the Dare.

Since it's the first Dare of the month there is a little added challenge.  I've been thinking about this one for month's but have waited to put it up because there are so many way's to go with this one and I wanted to make sure I could get several tiles done with all the crazy options floating around in my head.  

This week's challenge is based on the Robert Louis Stevenson novella,  The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  It was originally published in 1882 and is the story of a prominent doctor who has a split personality.  His alter ego, Mr. Hyde, is a murderer with no ethics or morals.  I have not personally read the novella but I think we are all familiar with the concept as we often hear the term Jekyll/Hyde used in conversation.

So this week I would like to explore the world of opposites, just like the opposite personalities of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  Your challenge this week is to split the template into to distinct sides.  The don't need to be perfectly equal but it should have two distinctive sides.  The options for this one are endless.  You can shade/not shade.  Try doing two different colors.  Try using watercolors to color your template two different colors.  You could do one side with tangles you love and one side with tangles you hate are still learning to love.  The challenge is to have two very different  sides.  Here's your template:


Link to the template for  Zendala Dare #68

Like I said, I didn't want to post this challenge until I had plenty of time to complete almost all the tiles I had envisioned.  I completed six tiles but I'm sure I could come up with so many more!




Tangles: Knightsbridge, Antidot, Auraknot

I started with this one because I thought that black on white and white on black was an obvious choice.  I like the way it turned out and to be honest it looks better in the photograph than it does in person.  The white on black looks a little washed out and kind of gray all over.  All in all though, not a bad first attempt.  

Tangles: Splinters, BB, Beelight, Printemps

I thought a two color Zendala would be another obvious choice.  I used Stabilo 88 pens and chose not to shade.  My decision not to shade was based mostly on the fact that I suck at shading with color so I'll just say that this was my "artistic vision" and leave it at that.  

Tangle: Allium
This one is a bit of an optical illusion.  It's a monotangle using only Allium.  I drew a random line through the template and then filled in opposite sections on each side just using Allium.  At first glance I don't even notice the difference but if you really look you will see what I mean.  I'm not sure if the effect is subtle because it's a mono tangle, because I chose Allium or because of the template.  This one did teach me an important lesson that I wasn't expecting.  My vision was to draw abstract lines through the template to divide it in two but I tried that a couple times and the effect wasn't nearly as impressive as when I divided the template in two symmetrically.  I hadn't considered that before starting but it was an interesting learning point as I created more tiles.  

Tangles:  Croon, Msst, Senju, Cyme

This one employs a pretty basic concept of shading one side and letting the other side remain unshaded.  The photograph doesn't really do it justice but I also think my choice of tangles is not the best for a shaded vs. unshaded template.  For the edges of the ovals I used my new tangle Senju and I think the shading doesn't really stand out because it's a very line dense tangle.  

Tangles:  Bales, Knightsbridge, Florz, Beelight,
Tipple, Mooka, Flux, Zinger, Dooleedo

This tile and the next one are tied for my two favorites.  This tile has one big grid drawn across the bottom and only organic tangles used on the top.  I love, love, love how the top turned out.  I wish all my Zendala's looked this good.  I think the juxtaposition between the grid tangles and the organic tangles was an interesting lesson in opposites.

Tangles: Hi C's, Hollibaugh, Heartstrings, Hurakan,
Jitterz, Jetties, Jonqal

I decided to really mix it up with this tile and split the template in two.  On the left I have used only tangles that start with H for Hyde and on the left I used tangle that start with J for Jekyll.  I'm not sure what I love more, the tangles or the split template.  

What will you come up with.  Link up below and share your work.


I wanted to thank all of you for your positive responses to my post about organ donation.  I think it's a very important subject and I appreciate that you all took it to heart.  

You may be wondering about the little boy in the picture from last weeks post.  He received his new liver last week but unfortunately it began to fail and it clotted off after 4 days.  He was placed back on the transplant list and luckily a new liver was located and he underwent a second transplant yesterday.  Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Have a fantastic week!

21 comments:

  1. Well Errin, ik give this challenge a big 10 in holland is that te best one!
    I hope to make several options but i am not at home to mak a print so it is made by hand!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great challenge Erin my fav it the organic and the grid. That was my first thought when I read what the dare was. Wow you really did have lots of time on your hands. That good for you. Over all, I think you have done lovely work. Really looking forward to this. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, youndid some wonderfull things with the template. I LOVE the one with Alium most and it took quite some time to understand what you did.
    I wish I will find an other way to do this extra challenge. My first thought was the two colored one. Well, you will see what I did later.
    Poor little guy having this second operation now. My thoughts are with him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic theme, Erin! I love your array of imaginative opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm highly impressed with what you've done, Erin. It's a great challenge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am going to have fun with this template. It's a fantastic concept, Jekyll/Hyde. I love what you've done, I think my favorite is the last with the completely split template. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the template, not so much my end design LOL. I'm going to have to do a few others with it I think. I really like all of your finished Zendala's, but my favorite is the pink and green one. It's so bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this template. I'm also very impressed with the zendalas you have created! I adore the organic/grid one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great template and a very inspirational Dare!
    I hope to make more than one, there are so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am enthralled with the amazingly beautiful tiles you have come up with for this dare....it is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your zendalas are all beautiful! They are also very inspiring to look at. Thank you so much for the time and energy you put into this dare - it makes my week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin, these are all so much fun. I think I like the one you did with Tangle: Allium best though because the changes are so subtle that you really have to be looking to realize.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea, and I love all your samples! My favorites are the one with Allium and tha last two. I will definitely be trying this, but later. Life is just too crazy this week. Thanks for all your contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a hard one for me. But got thru it. It's Christmas in August! Maybe that's the reason, don't want to think of Christmas so soon, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, forgot to mention, all of yours are super awesome. I couldn't pick a favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this Dare...thank you Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't split it in half, but I thought it was such a beautiful template. I hope you don't mind that I rebelled a bit.

    -Luna

    ReplyDelete
  19. can anyone help me please?
    I cant see any mr linky not here and also not on any other site.what can it be?
    please contact me here iff you have the antwere
    http://efie-zentangle.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://efie-zentangle.blogspot.nl/2013/08/tbo-68.html
      this is my entry for this week

      Delete
  20. Thanks for sharing the tangle names on your last one, featuring H and J tangles. I discovered and tried some that hadn't hit my radar yet. All tangles were lovely.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley