Saturday, July 27, 2013

Zendala Dare #67

I'd like to take this opportunity to do a little public service announcement about organ donation.  On my way to work the other day the subject of organ donation was brought up on one of our local radio shows.  One of the hosts was talking about how important it is to be an organ donor when the other host had the audacity to say "But if you are an organ donor, the paramedics don't work as hard to save you.".  To put it mildly, I was appalled.  I have heard this statement before but not for several years.  I thought that we might have finally put this ignorant nonsense to rest but apparently we have not so let me tell you how it really goes.

When I show up on a call, let's say a serious accident, there is absolutely no consideration as to whether or not the patient is an organ donor.  Sometimes I am lucky enough for the patient to be alert enough to tell me their name but if they are unconscious we don't even stick around the scene long enough to find out what their name is, much less if they are an organ donor.  At the hospital they are usually registered under an alias like Hotel 54 and the trauma team gets to work stabilizing the patient. All this is usually done without ever having seen the patients drivers license or donor status.   In my entire career I have never once heard a doctor, surgeon, paramedic, EMT, nurse, chaplain, firefighter, or police officer make a patient care decision based on the patients donor status. 

Your probably wondering why this is stuck in my craw all of the sudden and here's the reason.  




This beautiful 1 year old is the son of a colleague.  His family was notified this morning that there was a liver available for him and he is probably undergoing surgery as we speak.  The donor or the donor's family made  what must have been a very difficult choice to donate their loved one's organs so that this little guy could have a second chance.  





This is my husbands cousin James.  Today would have been James' 32nd birthday.  James died suddenly several years ago and his family made the difficult and generous decision to donate all of his organs.  Because of James and his family there are now several people living healthy, productive lives.  

So I am asking for a few things today.  First I am asking you to consider being an organ donor.  If you are already an organ donor please do not rely on that little sticker on your driver's license.  Please let your family and friends know about your wishes to be a donor and put it in writing.  When these situations arise there is so much to think about and the clearer your wishes are the better.  

Secondly, I know that I have many spiritual readers out there.  I am asking you to take the time today to send a prayer, moment of silence, or just some positive energy out for my friends son and family as they have a long journey ahead and also a thought or prayer for the donors family as they have suffered a very difficult loss.  

You can find out more about organ donation here.

Zendala Dare #67

Here's this weeks template:






Tangle: Dephib

This was my first attempt and I'm not thrilled.  I think it's a combination of things.  Since I have somehow never managed to do an all sepia Zendala I thought I would try it out and I can't put my finger on it but I'm not a fan yet.  I did not intend to do a monotangle but it just headed that direction.  I used a variation of my new tangle Dephib and I think I need to play with it a bit more.    The shading isn't fantastic and overall I think it's a bit boring, but hey, you gotta try it to know you don't like it right?  


Tangles:  Meer, Paradox, Allium, Echoism 
I am much happier with the second attempt.  The tangles flow better and this piece feels much more "me".  I was really surprised how well the Allium worked in the center.  



Remember to link up and have a 
fabulous week!


16 comments:

  1. Great message! I am already a registered organ donor and my nearest and dearest are aware of my wishes. I also have it in writing in several places. It's such an easy and important thing to do! Holding that sweet little boy and both families in my thoughts.
    I love your zendalas, I think I like the second one most too, but the first one has something very eye-catching about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you wrote this. I'm already registered as a donor, but I'll definitely share. Someday a donated organ may save the life of someone I love, and it's got to come from somewhere! And what an honor it would be, to have a part of me live on to do the same for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad, who died at 90, donated his body to science, hence there was no body to bury. A nurse in the hospital urged me not to do it, despite the fact that it was the wish of my father. I thought what he wanted was a generous and noble thing to do. I was, however, very surprised at the reaction of many people. I hold my Dad in my heart and feel there is no need to visit a grave to honor him. Your colleague's family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Love the design of this week's Zendala. Both of your designs are beautifully rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SPEAKING UP FOR ORGAN DONATION. I HAVE HAD TWO KIDNEY TRANSPLANTS IN MY LIFE, THE FIRST ONE WHEN I WAS 40 YEARS OLD AND WHEN THAT NO LONGER WAS WORKING MY BROTHER-IN-LAW DONATED ONE OF HIS KIDNEYS TO ME WHEN I WAS 55. I AM 65 YEARS OLD NOW AND THAT TOTALS 25 YEARS OF MIRACULOUS EXTENDED LIFE THAT I'VE LIVED ONLY BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND THE SELFLESS ACT OF OTHERS. I'VE BEEN BLESSED AND IF ONLY FOLKS WHO ARE SO INCLINED WILL SIGN THEIR DRIVER'S LICENSES AND MAKE THEIR FEELINGS KNOWN TO THEIR FAMILIES OTHERS CAN LIVE RATHER THAN DIE AN EARLY, PAINFUL DEATH, TOO. THANK YOU AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My prayers are with your friends and the other family. Love your tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Erin,
    You are a great inspiration to all of us and have a generous spirit. Thank you for sharing the message of donating organs. It is a selfless thing to do and a true act of love. One of these days, I hope we will meet at a conference. I'd like to say thank you in person and give you a big hug! :)

    Be happy,
    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both your tiles are beautiful, I think the first one is not boring, but maybe restful is the word.
    The second one is beautiful.
    My thoughts are with the little boy and all family and friends around an event like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, thank you very much for the message about organ donation! My own family shared a similar destiny. So we have all an identy card for organ donation. Our thoughts are with the young little boy, his family and all the other affected people. Therefore I dedicate my zendala "Stars of Hope" to the little boy and the two families.
    Your both zendalas are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an organ donor and have been for decades. My family knows my wishes. All those people are in my thoughts and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am an organ donor. when I was about 12, the "love of my life" died in a car accident. He was dead on the scene, but because he was an organ donor, he saved several lives through the gift of his young adult organs. I still miss Andrew, but I also know that he lives on through the ones he helped save.

    This is my first Zendala Dare. Please let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great thing to remind people to do, if they haven't already. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for reminding me. I am a donor but will now make it more apparent to everyone.
    Thanks, also, for all the templates. I really enjoy them. I like both of yours this week. The thing I love most about Zentangle is never knowing what will come out of the end of the pen.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for such uplifting words, Erin. And thanks for the template. I tried hard to make my entries tidy and organized but again my personal poltergeist got between me and the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your wonderful blog. I enjoy reading your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for correcting the misinformation on organ donation. Although I don't know anyone personally who has received a donated organ, I think it's important, and I appreciate your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both of your zendalas. In my first one, which I didn't post on my blog, I used paradox in the diamonds and it looked a little like your second one.

    I have been an organ donor since I was old enough to choose. So many people need them, and I won't need them anymore when it's that time. Might as well share! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley