Saturday, July 6, 2013

Zendala Dare #64 - It's getting HOT in here!

Happy Fourth of July weekend!  I hope everyone is out doing fun things over this extended weekend.  I will be working all weekend (big shocker) but was lucky enough to have the actual holiday off and spend it with family.  My mom had a barbecue at her house and my brother bought all kinds of fun water toys and I had a blast playing with the nieces and nephew.



My niece and nephew

My brother and niece.
In case you are wondering that thing around his neck
is call a "water weenie".  It's a big piece of tubing that
you can fill with water and it has a nozzle on the end so
you can squirt people. 

Yes, that is actually three grown adults playing with a water balloon
             slingshot.  Belief it or not, my mother was standing against the
house to see if they could hit her.  They couldn't.  

Somehow, I also managed to find a little time to complete the Diva's weekly challenge.  This week was a Use My Tangle Challenge and the chosen tangle was Birdie Feet by Owl Loving April.  

I wasn't sure how I would feel about the chosen tangle but once I got started I loved it.  It's super easy and looks great with an aura.

Tangles:  Birdie Feet, Jetties, Mushnik,
Maelstrom

Zendala Dare #64

As you can probably tell from the pictures and all the water laden antics, it has been another hot week in Sonoma county.  We have been in the low 100's and high 90's all week and sorry, I'm just not a fan.  Now, I took a lot of heat (pun intended) last week when I complained about the temperature.  There were several comments and emails letting me know how hot it gets in your neck of the woods.  I get it.  It gets much hotter elsewhere, but for Sonoma county, this is pretty darned hot and I'm just not used to it and it's not what I signed up for.  I'm a, how shall we say it, well insulated girl and the heat is not my friend so I stand by my position that the sooner this heat wave ends the happier I will be!  

The sudden rise in temperatures does have a silver lining however. It is the inspiration for this weeks extra challenge.  As most of you are aware, the first Zendala Dare of each month comes with an added challenge and this month we are taking our inspiration from Mother Nature.  This weeks extra challenge it to create a Zendala using tangles that start with letters in either the word "HOT" or "HEAT".  For example, if you choose the word "HEAT" you will use at least 4 tangles starting with the letters H, E, A, and T.  You must use each letter once.  The same goes for the word "HOT".  If you do need to use more tangles go ahead, but they must begin with one of the letters in your chosen word.  But, first things first, heres the template:



Here's what I came up with:

For my first tile I chose the word HOT.  I love how the middle tangle, Oke, turned out.  This tangle is new to me and it was a lot easier than I thought.  This will be going into my regular rotation.

Tangles:  Hibred, Oke, Tearce

My second attempt utilized tangle names that spelled out the word "HEAT".  I love this variation as well.

Tangles:  Hi-C's, Equerre, Afterglo, Tipple

I'm not sure what excited me most:  the great result I got with this challenge, that I was able to complete two tiles, or the fact that I actually got them posted on time!


Please remember to stay cool and link up above!
Have a fantastic week!

18 comments:

  1. Erin I am with you on not enjoying the heatwave!! But it looks like a lot of fun was had with your family :-)
    As I'm still fairly new to the dare, I didn't know there was an extra challenge and I'm excited to see what I come up with. Your 2 turned out great! Thanks for this great challenge, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe,

      The first dare of each month has a little extra challenge. I mix it up so you can never be sure what it's going to be. I like these word challenges because it gives people a chance to learn new tangles they may not have tried yet. I can't wait to see what you post!

      Delete
    2. It'll take me out of my comfort zone, that's for sure! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Erin, for another great dare. I'll go and see what letters I will use.
    Like you, I'm not very good with heat and while I was sleeping outside for a bit, it became 29 C and I feel horrible now.
    So I'll stay in the house and tangle a while. I do love the evenings, when you can sit outside and tangle.
    Your Birdie Feet tile is beautiful and so are the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having my share of "insulation" myself, I totally agree about the heat! I also don't like extreme cold either though,despite the insulation. I want mild spring or fall temps all year long. Right now we are under about our fifth day of a steady deluge. Don't like that either. I love your tangles and can't wait to get started! Great tiles and a great idea for the dare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the darker aura that you used on your Birdie Feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I entered a URL twice. The second one is the one that goes directly to the JPG.

    I am successfully posting in FB, then using that address for the link to the jpg. I have started a blog, but haven't figured out how to put the challenge response in it yet. If interested, the blog is at: http://mookamaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, your entry to the Diva Challeneg is great. Love what you did with those Birdie Feet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tile. Birdie Feets with aura are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun challenge. I like the idea of using the letters in the words to pick the tangles. Made it much easier, I think. Both of your Zendalas are lovely, but I like the second one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just realized I cannot follow directions. I had the template printed for me and did my own thing. Not sure what any of my tangles are called so I am sure they do not start with the letters that spell Hot or Heat. I do not know how to take my name off the entries, if you could do that for me I would appreciate it. Thanks Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your tiles. Great edge shading makes them look so dimensional. I don't see a lot of the "original lines" in your patterns. How do you delete/cover-up those lines? I print in grayscale, but they are still so visible that I can't vary my patterns or ad lib. There must be a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your work, Erin. Can you tell us how you get yours to look like the whole tile is dimensional with the round edges fading into the black? I like that look as it makes the whole thing stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Erin, I sympathize with your heat wave (and am humming along with the song). We are having rainy times here. So I modified your challenge to spell my own word RAIN. Thanks again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work Erin - I wish it was a bit warmer here :) thanks for the Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so much fun!!! HOT!!!:) (that's what I spelled)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally got mine posted, almost a week late! Hope you like it, I had a lot of fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Erin,

    I am so glad you have this 'dare' each week because it makes me feel like part of the ZT community and helps me continue to practice! Plus, I am starting to get more students because you help get me out of the rut of drawing the same patterns over and over again.
    Have you ever challenged anyone to spell their first name using patterns they have never done before? Could be fun!

    Thanks, again....
    Jacque
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley