Saturday, June 1, 2013

Zendala Dare #60 - The Devil That You Know

As you may have seen from this post, it's been a rough week for me.  I had all these grand plans for the week after school got out and instead all I got was a really nasty virus.  After several sick days, two trips to the emergency room and 5 prescriptions, I think I've finally got it whipped.  I'm back to work, back to tangling, and back to blogging so let's get to this weeks Zendala Dare!


Zendala Dare #60 - The Devil That You Know

As you know by now, the first Zendala Dare of each month carries a little extra challenge.  This month's challenge is to revisit a template that caused you issue, that you didn't care for, or that just didn't work out.   You can find all the previous Zendala Dare's here so that you can find that pesky little template that you don't love so much.

When it come's to tangling we all have our "devils" that seem to creep up and try to get us.  Some of us have difficult tangles that taunt us.  Others have a very difficult time with strings.  Some people struggle with finding a balance of black and white, and I think many tangler's struggle with shading.

Well, my devil are templates.  I have talked before about how I struggle with picking each weeks template.  Is it to busy?  Is it too plain?  Are the spaces to large or too small?  Is it too square or triangular?  I take all of these things into account when picking each weeks template.

Then there is how I choose to fill each template.  To be honest, if I had the time I would probably be much happier if I did each template 5 or 6 times.  Then I would feel like I had adequately exhausted the options for each template, but alas, there is no time for that so I have to take what I can get.

And what do I get?  Well, most of the time I like, and many times even love, how each template turns out.  But in my portfolio of templates I do have "a devil that I know."  Every time I see this Zendala I cringe just a little.  I don't care for the tangles, the flow, or the distribution of black and white.  It's 8 inches by 8 inches so I kick myself for spending so much time on it and not having a piece that I feel positively about it in the end.   And here it is:

Zendala Dare #19

This template was made for Zendala Dare #19.  I never liked this template or the finished Zendala.  I decided to try and overcome my dislike and take another stab at it.  I looked at the things I disliked:  too many tangles, adhering to straight lines, and an imbalance of black and white.  Then I decided to try to change those dislikes in my new piece and I have to say, I love the change. (I apologize for the blue tint, I'm not sure what was going on with the camera.)


Zendala Dare #19 Redux
Tangles: Wartz, Eyeballs, Skeins, Sanibelle, Marasu



I can't wait to see which templates cause you issue and how you go about finding away to learning to love them!
Have a great week!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    Hope you are better now! This looks like a great dare... but being not very computer savvy, I'm having trouble locating a place on your site to view all the templates . Could you either point me in the right direction or provide a link? Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I'm not Erin, but I can help you. In the second paragraph of this post there's a sentence that reads:
      You can find all the previous Zendala Dare's here so that you can find that pesky little template that you don't love so much. Click on the word "here" in that sentence and it will take you to the very first post, and scrolling down you will see a complete list of all the templates. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the challenge. I'm a new adept of zentangling and I just discover your blog. I will send you my zendala for sure.

    Take care Erin and take all the time needed to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After posting my zendala, I went and visited the others and I misunderstood your dare...I guess that for a first drop, it's ok. Since I never did any of your dare before, I will do one your previous challenge :)

      Delete
  3. Erin, I love your #19 redo. It's amazing how organic your Zendala is considering how linear the template is. I just love your new version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to go and try again on one you really felt was not coming around the way you wanted it to. I am glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job of the re-do. Glad you are much better now. Have a good week end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your zendalas - I can't see anything I'd want to change on the one you dislike!!!! The new version is a bit more adventurous, but I think both are just fine!
    I have a problem because I've only been doing these dares for a short while and have simply ignored or later ripped up the ones I didn't like the look of!
    My solution will be to look at what's been and choose one I don't think I can deal with. I hope that isn't stretching the rules too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a coincidence! I just cleaned up my Zentangle corner and threw out some Zendalas gone wrong. I'm on my way to the waste paper basket to retrieve them. I think I'll post them. It will be fun to see other peoples "failures". I know there are "no mistakes" in Zentangles- maybe just false starts. No matter what- it's all fun!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erin, I hope you are feeling much better. I really like your Zendalas - thanks for organising another great dare. P.S I actually love this template! hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add on: Oops and apologies, I obviously didn't read your post properly even though it was after 1am but thats no excuse) Oh well, back to the drawing board for a second revisit hehe!!

      Delete
  9. Thank you Erin for this dare. It was particularly enlightening to me, and the biggest clue was what you did with yours....how you totally changed the look. BTW, I liked your first one too; but I like the second one even better.
    I hope you're truly over your bought with strep and illness. Having had strep several times myself, I know how sick it makes you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gteat idea, this Dare, so thank you so much. Your number 19 was my second hard one, but 15 was the hardest so I did this one again.
    Glad you feel better now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of these days, I will go back and do them all! I can see what fun it would be to do them over and over and see what the difference would be as we progress, hopefully, in our work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great opportunity to go back and look at all the Zendala's I've completed over the past year. Thanks for the Dare. Still don't know if the Zendala I redid pleases me 100 percent, but I think I've improved over the past year. Thanks Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your "labor of love" and everything you do to share your Zendala Dare with the rest of us! Weekends are even better now and I'm getting in more practice. You are a blessing!

    Gratefully,

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Erin,
    I'm glad you are feeling better...because I am new to all this..this week's "dare" was easy because everything for me is a challenge! So, I did the Star. I think it's #6. I picked that one because it has such a defined shape I wanted to see if I could camouflage in some way. It gave me the opportunity to use Tangles I have not tried
    Thanks!!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one was fun. I think I'll go back and try all the templates I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As part of this exercise I went back to #59. I had some problems with it and although I had some nice comments I really didn't like it so much. So I went back and had another go...much happier with the updated one..Thanks, Erin...really put my brain to work!!:)

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley