Saturday, January 19, 2013

Zendala Dare #41

What.....a......week!  I'm exhausted but mostly in a good way.  Nursing school started this week and it has been a long time since I subscribed to a 5 day a week school schedule and the adjustment has been torture a welcome challenge.  I actually enjoy school when it involves a structured program.  I think a program like this with a focused goal appeals to the planner in me.  I have fond memories of my paramedic academy and I can already see some similarities with nursing school.

I have also began to encounter the differences.

And they are quickly becoming a challenge.

Did I mention that there are differences?

The biggest and most obvious difference is that almost everyone in a paramedic academy has some type of experience.  Many students have not worked on an ambulance before but they are at least required to be EMT's before they can be paramedics.

Not so in nursing school.  Sure there are pre-requisites like microbiology, anatomy and physiology but there is no pre-requisite on life experience, people skills or certifications.  I wasn't prepared for how many people have absolutely zero experience when it comes to dealing with a patient, and in some cases, just talking to strangers in general.   Being a paramedic, I have alot of experience in this arena.  At first I found this challenging.    I won't lie.  I was having a bit of a superiority complex, but then I realized that it wasn't going to change anytime soon and I might as well embrace it.  When I decided to become a nurse, it was with an end goal of teaching.  Maybe not teaching nursing school, but I want a job that has some type of teaching component.  I figured now was as good a time as any to get started.  So rather than be resentful that I was sitting through alot of skills labs with information I already new, I decided to try to help out my fellow students where I can because I'm pretty sure there will be a time in the near future where one of my new nursing buddies will be saving my butt.  Now, I have no formal educational training, and I have never claimed that I do.  But if I excel at one skill, it's talking.  All my friends will tell you how much they love tolerate my stories and run for the hills  enjoy hearing them!  So I have decided to embrace this new adventure and be a supportive, patient friend and student and help my classmates get more comfortable with approaching patients.  This new kinder, gentler, nurse side is a big departure from my controlling, assertive paramedic side but I kind of like it.  I've already made several new friends and really enjoy seeing them get more comfortable with communicating with patients and other care givers.   

This nursing program basically has two components, lecture and skills lab.  I enjoy the skills lab because as I described above, it's the time when I get to work with my fellow students and practice new skills, but lecture is a different animal.  By the end of lecture on the first day, I knew I was in a bit of trouble.  The first semester of school contains many concepts which are review for me and when I'm not challenged I have a lot of trouble focusing.  Even though much of the information is review, its still important that I know what is expected of me on a test.    What's a girl to do?  I think you know where this is headed.  I had a talk with the teacher and let her know I would like to Zentangle during lecture, and gave her a brief summary of what Zentangle is all about, emphasizing the ability to increase focus and memory retention.   Mainly I wanted her to know what I was doing so she didn't think I was being disrespectful and doodling in class.    She was very supportive and asked if she could send out an email to the other instructors letting them know what I was doing.  When I'm tangling I feel like I can focus on every word and it's strange to feel so relaxed after having to sit through a 3 hour lecture. Now I'm getting more Zentangle time than before I was in school!   So don't worry faithful readers, I think your Zendala Dare is safe for now!  

Speaking of faithful readers, I want to thank you for all your supportive comments last week.  When I put my thoughts out there like I did my intention is never to send out an invitation to my pity party, it's just me venting.  I appreciate all the supportive comments, suggestions and insight that you all sent my way.  Many of you have suggested a guest template, but surprisingly, the templates are the easy part, but I am planning some guest templates anyhow.   It's all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of a blog and a challenge  that can be really time consuming but even at week #41, I'm finding new ways every week to streamline it and cut back on wasted time.  I refuse to give it up so I may as well finds way to make it easier!  


Zendala Dare #41


Link to Zendala Dare #41 templates


Tangles:  Be Vee, Jetties, Lowtice, Borkal

I enjoyed this template alot.  I found it easy to think of tangles that would work and found myself conjuring up all kinds of ideas for a second, third, fourth attempt.  Oh wait, I'm in nursing school and have no time.  I guess this is it!


I hope everyone has a fabulous week
full of good weather and tangling fun.
Remember to link up below.

Erin

24 comments:

  1. After my #40 so very graphk i decided to enjoy de #41 and what it is a flower just what i want!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joke, so glad you are enjoying the templates. Thanks for participating in the Dare!

      Delete
  2. This is a nice curvy design. Very enjoyable to do. Thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith, I'm glad you like this one. I thought it had a sort of "sophisticated flower power" appeal. Thanks for posting your work.

      Delete
  3. Okay, 1. We DO love your stories :-) 2.You are going to kick nursing school's butt! and 3.Beautiful Zendala...I love this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I know you are obligated to say things like this because your my partner, I appreciate them regardless. lol Thanks for being one of my biggest cheerleaders. Love, AOB

      Delete
  4. Hello Erin, I have been a follower for just a short time, and I love your blog. This morning I went back into your files and printed every template, the square, the round and the full size....so your going to see some hits on the older stuff. I just want to say thank you for the templates. I do have a 'Tangle journal and have just been doing some free form stuff. Your challenge to do something different hit me and I did cut out some tangle squares and transfer the patterens. These came in real handy when it got so cold, and I could do them in front to the tv. I also took the challenge to do some shading. I never really wanted graphite on my pages, but now I use a sealer to stop that. Then there is was the color issue, gave it a try and had some really great results. I did post the tiles on my blog, but forgot where I had found them. sorry! I had been all over the net looking and learning. So here is the tiles I did, they are on a pink marbled card stock, as I have SO much of it, and wasn't sure I would stick to the smaller size.
    http://krishaskeepsakes.blogspot.com/2013/01/tangle-tiles.html
    I have also started my 6yr old granddaughter to tangle and she has her own journals, one at home and one that stays with me. She will be here Monday and I have her templates printed out too, just a few of the full page ones. I have a binding system, so your templates will become our books of templates. So THANK YOU so much for the templates, I've tried making a few of my own and know that they can be very involved. Wine country huh? I am in the Bakersfield area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Krisha,

      Sounds like you have jumped into the Zendala Dare headfirst. I checked out the Zendala's you did at your blog and they are beautiful. I'm so glad to hear that you are getting your granddaughter involved in tangle too. Kids really seem to take to it and don't have the hang ups that us adults do. lol

      Delete
  5. Hi Erin. Thanks for the great dare this week. This pattern was fun! I hope you settle into the routine of school quickly and end up having a great time. It sounds like your personality and past experience will be true assets to you. Great job adapting your reaction to the differences and turning it into a positive for yourself and your classmates!

    I think it's awesome that you talked with your instructor about tangling for focus and that you got a positive response. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, glad you enjoyed this weeks Dare. I thought it was a good one. I too was surprised at how accepting the instructor was when I talked to her about Zentangle but so far it seems to be going well. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  6. This week's Zendala is awesome! So glad you found time to post it. Sounds like your school experience is turning out to be positive. I'm so glad for you. Have a wonderful week - stress free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, I'm glad your enjoying this weeks Zendala. I always enjoy seeing your submissions.

      Delete
  7. Hi Erin, thanks for this lovely Dare this week! sounds like Nursing school is going to be great! Isn't it fabulous that you can Zentangle during lectures! too good! :))

    have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lila,

      The tangling during lectures really helps me stay focused while coming up with ideas for new Dares. I'm glad you enjoyed the template this week!

      Delete
  8. Really liked the template for this week's Dare. Hope school goes well for you and glad that instructor did not see a problem with you tangling while you were listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donald,

      I think you hit the nail on the head, "tangling while listening". As I am sure you know it is hard to escape the stigma of "mindless doodling" but the instructors seem very accepting of it so I think it will go well. Thanks for participating in the Dare's!

      Delete
  9. I really enjoy your blog! I wish you the best in nursing school. I graduated in 1998 with my BSN, and my MSN (FNP) in 2006. I'm on short-term disability for tendonitis in both hands right now, so I am not only not able to work, I can't tangle! WAH! I think not being able to tangle is worse! I think I need to go into another profession, though, as I had worked up to administration which involved a lot of writing and typing. I'm thinking of graphic design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all!
    For some reason, I can't get the template to print correctly. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again for a great template! I'm really enjoying this zendala dares.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my first time posting. I am very excited! Thank you for the Z-dare, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one captured my week. Or I captured my week with it. Either works for me. Glad you are settling in Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this weeks challenge. I loved to do it. Sorry for posting a little late, I have had so many projects going on this week. Hope you enjoy my attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Erin i always try to find out something from your which is hidden, i love to read your post because there is always something new for me.
    Nursing Profession in 2013

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another late one, I want to do them all!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley