Saturday, December 29, 2012

Zendala Dare #38

Is everyone ready for this holiday season to come to a close?  I know I am!  As much as I love the holidays I always have a great sense of relief when the shopping, eating, wrapping, baking, and party attending is finally over.  I love the time with my family and friends, but let's face it, it's a lot of work.  

I actually had to work on Christmas this year and it was a very busy day on the ambulance.  Holidays can be hit or miss in the ambulance business and from what I have seen in the past years, Christmas has a tendency to be pretty mellow, but not this year.  Luckily, I had my usual partner Jenn so even though it was busy, I had good company and I brought us a few treats so the day was tolerable.  We exchanged gifts and she got me the cutest toiletry bag for when I do overnight shifts at the ambulance station.  Its covered in silver glitter and pink owls.  It screams "girly"!  I love it.  I also attended a girls lunch where 6-8 of us get together every year and have great cocktails, lunch and exchange gifts.  Luckily, my friend Chris drew my name and she is an excellent gift giver.  I am the lucky new owner of super cozy owl pajamas, a new calendar, an awesome mounted picture of my husband and I with Chris and her husband, and a new sandwich shaped coin purse.  All the gifts were amazing but I am partial to the coin purse.  Why?  I don't know but it's pretty darn cool.  

My friend Debbi bought me this magnet for Christmas.  I would be offended, but its probably true.  She knows me so well.


I had the day after Christmas off so most of my family met at my mom's and I was able to visit with my stepmother and her boyfriend who live in Los Angeles but drive up and spend Christmas with us.  After my father passed away 5 years ago my mother and my stepmother became thick as thieves and now they talk several times a week on the phone and my stepmother stays at my mother's house when she visits.  Weird and wonderful all at the same time.  It's easier if I don't try to understand it.  

Zendala Dare #38

I just realized as I am typing this that this will be the last Zendala Dare of 2012!  That's a lot of pressure to come up with something really cool for next week. 

Even after 38 templates I still get a little anxious each time I pick one.  "Is it too linear?"  "Is it too organic?"  "Are the spaces to big or are they too small?"  Well, this week was no different.  Sometimes I create the templates specifically for that weeks dare and sometimes I use one's that I have created and saved.  This one was created 3 days ago.  When I initially finished it I loved it.  I thought it had great balance, clean lines, and was different from the others.  Then came the moment of truth.  I printed it.  Once it's on paper and I can accurately see it's proportions I have a tendency to start to question if it will be "tangleable".  I like people to actually be able to modify tangles rather than just fill with line work (don't get me wrong, I love line work but it's called Zentangle, not Zenline, right?).  When I printed this template the spaces looked very small and I contemplated for 3 days if this was the best pick but I decided to try it anyway and I think the results are pretty impressive. It was actually much easier than I thought to find appropriate tangles.   Let me know what you think of it.



Tangles:  Zedbra, Purk, Antidot, Laced, Meer,
Squid, Crescent Moon

I hope everyone has a safe and fun filled New Year
and please remember to link up below.

Erin



14 comments:

  1. I want to thank you Erin, for all 38 Dares of 2012. A lot of work for you, but well appriciated!
    Your zendala of this week looks great and i Love the star in teh center.
    Hope 2013 will bring you health, warmth and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I'm looking forward to trying this dare - it looks like the opportunity to try a lot of the new tangles. I've been busy, busy, busy with my own craft projects (I sew decorative owl pillows), craft shows, and Christmas, and haven't made the time to tangle for over a month, so now that things have slowed down, I can get back to a more balanced life. Thanks Erin for all your support, and your creativeness. Best wishes to a happy and healthy 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this template and what you did with it is amazing. I think the template is a work of art without any fill! Thank you Erin for the Saturday fun you send my way! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your site this morning and had to print out the template :) Actually i try to be more active in future with zentangles as i really like the silence i'm having while i'm tangle...
    thanks a bunch for the great templates and have a bombastic start into the new year! greez from switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, thank you for making such a beautiful templates every week. #38 is really great, I had no trouble at all filling the spaces. I have to admit that I often change the original a bit (and sometimes more) But every week I am looking forward to your templates. I hope you will have a great new years eve, and hope your next year brings you everything you dream off. Again thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 'specially enjoying seeing the interpretations in this zendala - so far they are all so unique and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year!! Took me a little while to get into the flow of things with this one, but liked the end result. Thanks Erin for giving us the opportunity to participate in this. Looking forward to a year full of new "Dares".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin you are totally awesome! To think how busy you are, working and family and Christmas and new year, I don't know how you can still create a new template for us. Thank you for your commitment and your creativity. It keeps ours awake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dawn for letting me know that my link did work. Had trouble with my modem the first time I tried to download and must not have checked the url closely. Should use #2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year all who visit here! This was rather nice to do. I'm always happier when the edges are curved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I liked this mandala a lot, and I completed it way back when it was published, but due to illness never got around to posting it. Thanks, this is a lot of fun! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another late one, but I will catch up!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley