Saturday, December 22, 2012

Zendala Dare #37

What a wonderful week!  I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season.  This week has been about work, shopping, tangling, eating, baking and spending time with friends and family.




Saturday I attended my niece's first dance recital.  The hubby and I drove 40 minutes to watch 90 seconds of 3 year olds holding their hands above their heads and looking at each other trying to figure out what to do.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  Then it was off to pizza with the family and a quiet night at home.

On Saturday I went to an annual cookie make and take party at my friend Chris's house. 


The picture is a little blurry but you get the idea.  Me and about 10 girlfriends baked, tasted, cut, tasted, wrapped, and tasted some more.  There is always spiced cider ( and a bottle of Tuaca nearby to make it a little "spicier", if you know what I mean) and my friend Chris threw together a lunch of chicken caesar for all us girls.  There were lot's of kids so I took my niece for the day so she could enjoy the festivities.


Here she is with the "big girls" decorating gingerbread men.

I worked Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on the ambulance and it was rather uneventful.  On Thursday I took a mandatory recertification class so you can imagine how heart broken  I was (sniff, sniff) when it let out an hour early! 

Friday was a whole lot of running around and then dinner at my brother's in-laws house.  My brother's in laws are great people and it is so nice of them to invite my brother's and I plus all the kids and spouses for a Christmas dinner.  Last year Denise (the awesome mom, cook, and grandma) made a traditional dinner of ham, au gratin potatoes, rolls, vegetables etc. so I just assumed that we would have something similar this year.  When I arrived however Denise and my sister in law were feverishly working away in the kitchen.  I saw something frying on the stove and I was informed that we were having homemade potato with cheese and sauerkraut pirogi, cabbage and sausages for dinner this year.  "Is that ok?" Denise asked.  "Is that ok? Are you kidding me?"  "I'm moving in!"  Carbs stuffed with carbs?  Am I in heaven?

Then I noticed something that took me a back, just a little.  In a pan of simmering water on the stove were two bottle of Karo's syrup, one light and one dark.  I inquired what they were for and was told that you put them on the pirogi.  Always one to try something new, I dished myself up several of the dumplings and drizzled them with some of the dark syrup on my sister in laws recommendation.  Wow, so delicious and weird at the same time.  No one at the table could remember when this tradition started so they were not sure if it was a family thing or a cultural thing.  Do any of my readers have any insight into this tradition?  Let me know.

Speaking of dinner at the in laws, I decided to make a little hostess gift.  I also made this recipe as my contribution to the cookie party and it was a big hit.  The recipe is for honeycomb candy which I find a lot of people are unfamiliar with.  It has no actual honeycomb in it but it has a light, airy crunch and is made with honey, hence the name.  Honeycomb is one of my mom's favorite candies and last year I decided to give it a try and was surprised how close it was to the honeycomb we used to buy at Little John's candy at the La Brea Farmers Market in Los Angeles.  I have since found out that it is also a favorite of the hostess, Denise so I whipped up a batch and thought I would share the recipe.  Just for the record, I think it tastes best covered in milk chocolate.

Honeycomb Candy 
Recipe courtesy of Gale Gand and Food Network

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/3 cup corn syrup
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda, sifted

Directions

In a large saucepan, gently combine the sugar and water then add the honey and corn syrup. Boil until amber colored and the sugar looks like caramel. Add the baking soda, and with a wooden spoon, stir in gently. It will foam up a lot. Pour the mixture onto a silpat or a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan, and let cool. Break into pieces.  Dip in chocolate if desired.  

Now onto the Zendala Dare!

Zendala Dare #37


This weeks template is pretty simple.  A little straight, a little curved and a lot of fun!



Tangles: Diva Dance, Sez, Amaze, Organza, Paradox
 
I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and remember
to link up below!

Erin





15 comments:

  1. Your zendala is beautiful, Erin. The Diva Dance is also great in it.
    I wish you and your husband a Happy Christmas and for 2013 a lot of peace, love and light.
    And, time to tell you once more that I'm so pleased with your weekly template!
    THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Hope you have an awesome time. Thanks for another lovely template.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your zendala is truly gorgeous! Love the feeling of texture it gives. Merry Christmas to your family and thank you for the dares. I love the templates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas Erin. Thanks so much for the time you spend each week doing your Zendala Dares. I don't always have time to do them but I always look at them and always appreciate your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have not had time to get mine done but wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and looking forward to many more Zendala Dares in the New Year. Really like the effect of the shading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was able to have some time to complete my Zendala. Wanted to post before getting into all the holiday events. Again hope that you and everyone has a Very Merry and safe holiday season.

      Delete
  6. Wanted to wish you and your family a Happy Holiday! Haven't done my Zendala yet :( - I will get it done before the new year. I've been so busy with holiday celebrations and wrapping gifts. Thanks for creating the Zendalas every week. I so enjoy doing them and appreciate you for creating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I'm of Polish descent with relatives on both my husband's and my side, who made perogies every holiday, but never have I seen anyone put syrup on them. It must be your family's tradition. Sounds really different. I made over 40 perogies myself this year. Will have to heat up some Log Cabin and try dipping the perogies into it. ; D

      Delete
  7. OOOOOOOOO Some serious eating going on down your way. It all looks delicious!
    Thanks for this pattern, Erin and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope everyone had a very Happy Holidays and after posting my entries I looked at everyone submissions and they are all wonderful. I've got a lot of work to do to come close to the submissions posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the template Erin, and Happy Holidays to you and your family and all the best for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the template Erin, and Happy Holidays to you and your family and all the best for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you have had a wonderful Christmas Erin and will have a fantastic New Year. Apologies but entry No 18 was not the proper link to the completed template!! Whoops sorry. I am off on a wonderful trip for a month so will be out of the loop for January and part of February but will catch up again when home again. This is like our gap year but instead our mature gap 2-3 years instead!!!! Retirement is wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much fun to finally be playing again!! Thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one was my best yet, and I've been getting some really nice comments on Facebook about it. Happy, happy!! I'm in the process of painting it, and I'll post the painted version as soon as it's done.
    -Lori Kingston

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley