Saturday, September 22, 2012

Zendala Dare #24

It's our first official Saturday Zendala Dare, and by "official" I mean that it was actually supposed to come out on Saturday.  Not Friday with a late Saturday arrival!  I hope you all had a fantastic week.  Mine was only mildly exciting but did contain some high points.  I arranged an impromptu birthday lunch for a friend that went very well.  I had dinner with the family and planned a fun game for the kids that turned into an ultra hilarious game for the super competitive adults and included an embarrassing traffic stop on the way home.  (That's a story I will save for another time.)  But the most inspiring event of my week was a movie that I had not heard of and I am guessing you haven't either so I would like to share it with you.

A few weeks ago my friend Sue invited me to movie premiere that was being sponsored by her company.  My friend Andrea and I drove down to the Mission district in San Francisco to meet Sue and a few of her co-workers.  Sue had mentioned that we "would grab something to eat" and me being a foodie and a control freak, I took it upon myself to make some reservations.  I picked a place called Mozzeria because it looked good on Yelp and I made reservations.  It wasn't until later that I learned the owners and most of the staff are hearing impaired.  The food turned out to be amazing and the dining experience was very interesting because many of the patrons were hearing impaired as well so there is almost none of the ambient noise you would normally encounter in a restaurant because almost no one is speaking.  If you happen to be in the San Francisco area I strongly recommend this little gem!

After dinner we headed down the block to see Freedom House: Street Saviors, a film about a group of "unemployable" African-American men in Pittsburgh, PA.  Two men, Philip Hallen and Dr. Peter Safar believed that many of these men could be trained in emergency medicine and then provide service to the under served community that they came from.  The experiment was a huge success and soon these men were providing life saving care that was unheard of in 1967.  In 1975 a new, less forward thinking mayor was elected and many of the existing paramedics were pushed out using unjust testing procedures and other bureaucratic loop holes so that could be replaced with new paramedics that happened to be primarily Caucasian.  

This movie really made me take a step back and think about why I became a paramedic.  I love my job and the company I work for has been good to me but let's face it, I work for one of the largest EMS corporations in the United States and sometimes "helping people" feels like it gets lost in politics, statistics and the bottom line.  This movie inspired me to get hold of my paramedic roots and remember why I go to work everyday.  It sounds cliche to say that "I just want to help people" but that is what I really want to do.  Some of the paramedics from the movie were at the screening and it was nice to be able to thank them for paving the road for me to be able to have the career that I do.  


Zendala Dare #24

This week I went for something pretty straight forward.  Sometimes straight lines bother me but something about this templates screamed "POSSIBILITIES" (yes, it's in caps because it screamed).  




Tangles:  River, Mosaic, Paradox, Betweed,
Tipple, N'Zeppel

I felt like this template cried out for simplicity.  Now that I have finished however, I'm not so sure.  I may have to make another, just for comparison, of course!

Please remember to link up below so we can share
and inspire.

Have a great week!

Erin

13 comments:

  1. I think your zendala is beautiful and delicate. This idea of 'just want to help people' maybe cliche, but also very valuable.
    Last night I saw an interview with Desmond Tutu (form South Africa) and is'nt that a part of his message? 'Giving to others and receiving so much in return'. So, please go on helping people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anne. And I want to thank you for the time you even make for us to make a template for our tangling. Despite that rectangles and squares are not my favorites, I had so much inspiration that I made 2 of them in no time. So Thank youy very much. And please keep on going helping people, I think thats great !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the best Erin - and thank you for taking the time in your busy life for giving us these template! I LOVE this template and will probably do a couple more before next Sat.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, such a lovely story, both stories actually. The story of the paramedics is very moving and I get angry at bureaucracies which wreck whats really working and replace it with politically correct unfit substitutes.oops.
    ta for challenge of the square. It will be fun. I am away for 2 weeks so may have to send mine all at once! I can get the net on my phone but thats all the technology available in country camps Perth, Australia!! Keep up the great work you do with your job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just LOVE your challenges Erin...:) Thank you so much for taking time out for this..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great template this weekend, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am retired now, but my colleagues always used to say to me "ask a busy woman and it will get done", and it did. I think you are super busy but still have time to give us our Dare every week. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this template - thank you Erin.... haven't had time to flick through the other entries and I am sure they are brillaint - Every week, I am amazed at all the wonderful interpretations. Have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this Dare Erin. I like to have a more squared rather than a circular pattern every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was fun, erin! thank you for posting these every week. this is really what has made a difference with my interest in zentangle. i told a bunch of people about the zendala dare at CZT training last month! so, thanks :) i appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite to date!! :) It's fantastic... I'm working on my dare. I'm now getting back into the swing of my year with students, lessons and work in general :)
    -genny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a lot of fun when I am doing your challenges. Although I am not a CZT or have been to any classes I enjoy doing this. I wonder if I am the only one from Sweden here??? Well, thank you for a wonderful challenge again Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weeks late but this is my first zendala and I figured I would jump in here. Thank you for the challenge. I enjoyed it and will try more. :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley