Friday, August 17, 2012

Zendala Dare #19

Hello to all my Zendala Dare enthusiasts!  So much has been going on this week.  The county fair finally ended, and good riddance to it!  I love greasy fair food but you can only eat so many funnel cakes, tacos, mini donuts, french fries, and cinnamon rolls.  This year while doing safety checks (also known as "walking around the fair looking for good things to eat that won't kill us before the end of our shift, but who cares if they do, let's just eat them anyhow") my partner Matt and I came across my new favorite fair food.  The bacon wrapped corn dog!

Heaven on a stick!

Matt an I agreed that this was by far the best thing we ate at the fair this year.  Hot, crispy, sort of sweet porky goodness on a stick.  My arteries hurt just looking at it.

So how do I plan on reversing the damage from all this fair food?  By walking of course!  As many of you know, I will be participating in the American Cancer Societies Relay for Life this Saturday.  This 24 hour walking event helps to raise money for cancer research and I am so proud to be a participant.  It's less than 36 hours until the start of the event but there is still time to donate.  A donation of any size will get you five limited edition Zendala templates that will never be released anywhere else.  Those that have already received them by donating have given them rave reviews so don't miss out!  Go to my donation page and give what you can.  It supports a great cause and you get a little something in return.  I want to thank everybody who has already donated.  I enjoy reading your stories and am so humbled by your generosity.  Please remember that if you do donate please send me an email to let me know so I have a valid email address to send your templates to.

Before I get to the main event, I'd like to show you what I did with the Diva Challenge this week.  This week's challenge was to use the tangles Mooka and Assunta together.  I have used Assunta in many of my tiles with good result but Mooka is a little more challenging for me.  I know many people love Mooka but I find it difficult to shade and it always looks very plain so this weeks tile was truly a challenge.  

Tangles:  Mooka, Assunta

I tried to give Mooka some definition by adding a little color but I'm not sure it was enough.  This challenge may need a re-visit.

Alright, enough about me, let's get on with the good stuff!


Zendala Dare #19

You may remember when I talked about how much I love creating tangles within specific shapes, mainly circles and squares.  A good example of this in this post where I filled several squares with many versions of the same tangle.  I wanted to create a Zendala template that had the same spirit and this is what I came up with:



And here is how I completed the template:

Tangles:  Ixorus, Bales, Florz, Portholes, Dragonair,
Tipple, Weave

This piece took me longer than expected as it's about 7 x 7 inches.  I resisted the urge to outline each square as I initially planned to do when I created the template.   I may still go back and do another one with an outline, but I wanted to push myself to do something different this time.  With Dragonair around the perimeter this Zendala reminds me of a fancy serving platter that my grandmother may have used.  It has a very ornate feel.  

I hope you all have a wonderful week and please remember
to donate to the Relay for Life if you can.  Enter your link in the 
box below to share your creation's with all the other Zendala
Dare enthusiasts out there.

Erin





21 comments:

  1. Wow, I want one of those bacon wrapped corn dogs! Your tile is stunning. Love the energy and flow of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin, I can't access the templates for some reason. I used another way to get it, but maybe others will have the same problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your solution for this week's challenge your Assunta is great! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I traced the pattern off the screen. I wonder if permission is needed to keep out the spam....we shall see. Erin I love the way you have worked out the design in the Diva challenge.....it has such a beautiful flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Opps I forgot to tell you that your tile on the zendala is really fun. I love how the circles look like cut out holes, repeating the patterns diagonally, and the yummy Ixorus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Erin.. I think the permissions thing may be due to the fact that Google Docs is now Google Drive. You may need to put the templates in a public folder now. Hope that helps..

    Sadelle, CZT#7

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid that I cannot access the templates either. I'll check back, I'm still working on last weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely! your tangles have given me some good ideas. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to this and think this is a great idea!
    Those corndogs look deadly (and delicious!).
    Love the tangles above!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Zendala - love the centre piece. Thanks again for a fun dare :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wel this was really a challenge to me. I mostly love to tangle around withe circkels but squares ar just not done for me. But I did it! Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me also, it was a big challenge to go!
    Never give up, looking forward for the next challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fun but I will pass on the bacon wrapped dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always like the challenge and i try to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so want one of those corndogs!! Thanks for a great challenge! I loved yours and your Mooka-Assunta tile! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The corn dogs look sinful, I want one, badly! I sent a donation on your behalf, but I was not able to e-mail because I don't have outlook set up on this machine, so my e-mail is uptwnsh@hotmail.com or sunnysh@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your template Erin. I always enjoy the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I posted 4 Zendala Dares on one blog and then made a mistake on entering it.
    Thanks for all these fun templates.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I was 4 dares behind and have posted three this morning. I know its not fair but they are all in one post. Hope you enjoy them. Happy Tangleing

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley