Friday, August 3, 2012

Zendala Dare #17 - In honor of....

How is everyone doing this week?  I am having a fabulously busy week.  Here in Santa Rosa, CA we are having the Sonoma County Fair.  This means corn dogs, rodeo's, funnel cakes, carnival rides and lots and lots of ambulance overtime.  This year I am working at the fair more than usual but it's ok because I'm working most of my shifts with two of my favorite girls, Jenn and Andrea.


This week I am also doing my first guest post over at the Diva Weekly Challenge.  It's a post about gaining awareness for the Relay for Life, the event I am participating in on August 18 to raise money for cancer research.  It's a Zendala challenge and I know how you guys love those so hop on over there and check it out.


I would also like to remind you that there is still time to donate to the Relay for Life and receive 5 special edition Zendala templates.  To learn more, read this post.


Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has already donated.  It is so nice to see how many people care about helping me reach my fundraising goal.  Thank you for your generosity and support of this worthy cause.


Zendala Dare #17

It's the first Zendala Dare of the month so it's time for another Dare with a little added challenge.

This month I wanted the added challenge to bring awareness to my efforts to fight cancer.  Everyone has been affected by cancer in some way.  You have either fought it, lost someone to it, or cared for someone who had/has it.  I wanted to draw attention to just how prevalent it is, but I wanted it to be positive.  I don't want to dwell on the negative aspects of this horrible disease.

So with that said, this weeks added challenge is to complete a Zendala template in honor of someone still with us or someone who has lost their battle with cancer.  Use tangles that symbolize them, tangles that make you think of a happy place that the two of you enjoyed, or simply create a Zendala that you think would have or will make them happy.  It's up to you.

Here your template for the week:


PLEASE NOTE:  There is now only one link for the templates.  All three sizes are contained in the same document.  If you don't wish to print both pages you can change the number of pages when you print the document.  


Zendala Dare #17 templates


Tangles:  Boss, Flux, Hollibaugh, Tipple

I created this Zendala in honor of my Grandma Anne.  My grandmother was not always the warmest person but she had many other great qualities, some of which I tried to represent in this tile. The ovals that look like sunflower seeds were meant to be peppermint chews.  Many a time I would sit with my grandmother and watch tv and she would inevitably pull a little pink and white striped bag from Shaw's candy shop out of the top drawer of her dresser.  She would buy these red and white striped peppermints that were somewhere between a hard candy and taffy.  They were always one of my favorites but when Shaw's closed I didn't find them again for years.  A few years back a new company started making them and I think I am now partially responsible for keeping them in business.  


My mouth is watering just looking at them!


I also created some "slices" of pie that I decorated with Hollibaugh.  My grandmother made the best blackberry and apple pies.  She also made pumpkin for my brother John but you won't get me to touch a pumpkin pie with a 10 foot pole!  I finished with Flux because she had a fondness for flowers and Flux has a very floral feel to me.  


Involving Hospice in my grandmothers care was one of the best decisions we made.  We had an amazing group of Hospice nurses helping us with every step and it made the transition so much easier.  I cannot thank them enough for their assistance.  


On February 1, 1999 my grandmother had already been unresponsive for 3 days.  When the Hospice nurse came to the house my mother had half jokingly expressed her concerns that she did not want my grandmother to die on my birthday which is February 3.  The hospice nurse told my mother "She can hear you, you should let her know" so in the loud, assertive tone that they always used with each other my mother leaned over my grandmother and said "Ma, Erin's birthday is in 2 days, you need to make a decision!"  She died 10 minutes later.  I think it may have been the first time my grandmother actually did something my mother asked.  I was holding her when she died.  


My grandmother was probably one of the most influential people in my life when it came to art.  She had a very quiet, methodical way about her when it came to helping.  I would tell her what I was trying to do, she would look at the project, maybe offer a few words of advice, but not much more than that.  Later she would usually come find me to show me a needle, crochet hook or some other item that she had found our purchased to help me out.  She was also a very good cook and would often sit at the end of the long counter in our kitchen watching me cook and offering advice here and there.  It was always a running joke that she would often say of something I had just made "Oh yes, I used to make this all the time."  but my mother said she could never recall any of these things she claimed to have made.  It was always amusing when my mother would hear say it and my mom would just throw her hands in the air and walk out of the room.  


 Even though she was a little "rough", I always had great respect for my grandmother.  She had a difficult childhood being abandoned by her father and being raised by a strict mother and eccentric aunt.  She married young and raised four children.  She became an LVN in her early 40's, worked in convalescent hospitals and then opened and operated a successful elder care facility for many years.  A large part of my work ethic comes from her.  


So the tile above is in honor of my Grandma,
 Anna Lorenzen.


Please make sure to link up below.  I hope you all 
have a fantastic week!


17 comments:

  1. ok, so i'm sitting here in tears now. sounds like she was as wonderful a grandmother as she could be - and i totally understand. sounds to me like she was a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about your Grandmother, Erin. I've lost both of mine in the last 3 years, and it's been tough. Thanks for this challenge - it was nice to remember them while doing this zendala :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week is going to bring lots of thoughts and memories (hopefully good as well as bad)of our lost relatives and friends. Thanks for the Zendala this wekk Erin.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this dare and for sharing so much about your grandmother through your art. I did two this week to honor my Dad and my brother, both who were victims of this disease. I also made a contribution to your walk, and received a confirmation from them, although I don't know if they told you, so I sent you an email when I did it. Now I'm off to look at all the other wonderful entries for this touching and thought-provoking dare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, thanks for this dare (and for the opportunity to donate to your Relay for Life. As it turns out, my stepdad, who I bought a luminary for, lost his fight with lung cancer just over a week ago, on the the 25th of July. Your story about your grandma, and hearing your mom's wish, struck me.

    My stepdad was very very close to my son, and was "the" grandpa for him nearly all his life. Now 25 and living even further away, we flew him down to say goodbye to his grandpa on the 24th, when he arrived at Hospice. It's true about the hearing... we were also told by the Hospice nurses and aids that the hearing is the last to go. My stepdad, though totally out of it by the time my son arrived, reacted to my son's voice. I think he hung on for the extra day so my son wouldn't be there when he passed. After I took my son back to the airport on the 25th, and then later got a text from him upon arrival, I told my stepdad that my son was home safely. We then went home for a quick dinner at 8:30pm. Just barely an hour later, we got the call that my stepdad had passed. Turns out he didn't want any of us there for that moment. But he died knowing his grandson had been tthere and arrived home safe.

    Oddly enough.. this past week I've not been able to tangle, though now that we're home for a briefrespite before taking my mom to the new city she'll be living in, I'm ready. And what do I find but your latest Zendala Dare. Erin, thanks for yet another opportunity and I will certainly be working on it this week, in honor of my stepfather.

    Sadelle, CZT#7

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to honor the people who won or lost their biggest fight of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this Dare Erin - your tangle is beautiful! Whilst doing this dare been thinking of those who have suffered and are suffering from this disease. It's been quite a sombre day. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your zendala and your story. I just finished my zendalas and got them posted. This has been a difficult one - more emotionally than any other way. But I really appreciated the opportunity to do this. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the dare and your thoughts Erin. It was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin,
    I want to give you the Liebster Award. Hope you like it. Refer 5 people to who deserve it. Link to my blog to receive your award. http://cherylsartfulcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I somehow missed the theme of this dare. I read your lovely tribute to your grandmother, but didn't "get" that we were supposed to do this zendala "in memory of..." I'm hoping I'll have a chance to get back to it.

    We had a similar experience with my dad, who died from prostrate cancer. My brothers and sisters live in various parts of the country, and it was my sister's birthday when dad got really bad. She was going to celebrate with her family, then get on a plane to Ohio the next day. I could tell my mom was not going to let him go until everyone was there, so I called my sister and asked her to come as quickly as she could, so she abandoned her celebration and hopped on a late night plane. My dad passed on, with all of us there, a few hours after my sister arrived on the day after her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun all always, I love looking at all the work1

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for a sweet, heart touching challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  14. better late than never right?? Finished this one up today. Im loving the templates!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, I made a mistake on my previous entry.
    Barbara
    P.S. I love these challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I was 4 dares behind and have posted three this morning. I know its not fair but they are all in one post. Hope you enjoy them. Happy Tangleing

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley