Friday, July 27, 2012

Zendala Dare #16

This week I would like to talk about my blog.


Now your probably thinking "What does she mean 'Talk about her blog?'" and a year or so ago I would have said the same thing.  When I started this blog just over a year ago I did it primarily so I could post my entries into the weekly Diva Challenge.  When I attended CZT training last October I realized that if I started a business teaching Zentangle, my blog could be a great tool to reach out to others about classes, supplies and new tangles.  Then in April I decided to start sharing the Zendala templates I was creating in the form of the Zendala Dare.


When I started the Zendala Dare I did it because I was having a hard time finding templates and I figured I probably wasn't the only one.  As the weeks have progressed I have noticed an increased interest in these templates and have come to look forward to seeing everyone's entries.  


Last week however, I encountered something I never expected.  As many of you know, I usually post the weekly Zendala Dare in the wee hours of Friday morning.  Last week I was feeling under the weather, had some minor computer issues, and to be honest, fell asleep without posting.  When I did post Friday morning and the entries started rolling in, I was taken aback by some of the comments I saw posted.  People were questioning whether something had happened to either myself or my family.  There were emails "checking up on me" and some people had mentioned that they were praying for my health and safety.   More people than I ever expected commented on how much they look forward to the Dare and check their computer first thing every Friday morning.  Needless to say I was humbled, overwhelmed, and truly touched by how many people were genuinely concerned. 


So this week I want to tell all my loyal readers "Thank You".  Thank you for finding my templates worth doing, thank you for taking the time to do the Dare each week, and thank you for caring enough to worry when the post doesn't show up at the usual time.  I promise that from now on, if a Zendala Dare is going to be late I will make sure to give a quick update to let you know what's going on.


Now onto a lighter note about this blog, I'm going to tell you a little story.  More honestly, as I usually tell my friends "This is a long story about nothing", but in my opinion, still pretty amusing.    


If you have a blog then you probably know that blog's can turn into a much bigger job than you originally signed up for.  When I started the blog it was pretty straight forward.  Then came the custom domain name, the Etsy store, the slide shows and all the other little gadgets you can add.  A strange blogging phenomenon soon emerged, at least for me.  The things I thought would take 15 minutes to do end up taking 3 hours and the tasks that seem like they should take a day end up taking 5 minutes.  It's like a weird blogging wormhole!  




One of the features I really wanted to add was a blog button.  For those of you who aren't familiar, blog buttons are those pictures that you see on the right and left side of blog's that you can click on to get a direct link to a certain blog.  I have had several requests for a blog button and really wanted to create one but they usually require HTML code, photo editing and hosting, and a lot of weird terms that someones like me, who is less than fluent in computers, can have a very hard time with.   After several failed attempts at creating a button I decided to give up.


A few weeks ago my ambulance partner Jenn of Girl Defying Gravity, showed up for work with a little post it note.  She was very proud that she had created a button for her blog and assured me it was going to be a breeze if I just used the websites she listed.  Fat chance.  Through no fault of Jenn's, I spent the next 6 hours creating my button.  Most of the issue's had to do with the fact that Jenn and I have different computer software but in the end I was ecstatic to have created my very own, custom blog button.  


Fast forward a few weeks.  Two nights ago I was sitting on the couch doing bloggy stuff when I noticed that the picture for the Zendala Dare button had a weird red line in it.  On further inspection I noted that the red line under the word Zendala was actually to alert me to a possible spelling error.  At one point during the button creation process, the picture is modified in a word processing program and that is when the program inserted the red line, but this occurs pretty early in the process.  So for basically 4-5 hours I was modifying, copying, cutting, pasting, and proofreading a photo that had a big, obvious red line running through it. Maybe I was subconsciously (or not so subconsciously) ignoring it so I wouldn't have to fix it!  After being horrified by my discovery and having a mini anxiety attack about the many hours of work ahead of me to fix it, I dug in my heels and set about the task.  Imagine how ecstatic I was when it only took me 30 minutes to straighten it out!


Long story not so short,  if you have placed the button on your blog any earlier that 3 days ago, you have the version with the red line.  It will still work but I would love it if you would grab the new code on the right and re-install it.  See, a long story about basically nothing!


Now onto the main attraction....


Zendala Dare #16

This wee I decided to go basic.  I love doing Zendala's but I sometimes feel that the many small spaces limit the tangles I can use.  So this week, I decided we would try a basic template with some wide open spaces.





For my version I went with some oldies but goodies.

Tangles:  BB, Vache 2, Paradox, Antidot

I like the way this turned out.  It's simple, clean and has some impact.  It's pretty basic but still beautiful.  

So what will you come up with this week?  I am eagerly awaiting your entries.  

Don't forget!   Everyone who donates the Relay for Life to help me fight cancer will receive a free set of one of a kind Zendala templates.  You can find more details here.

I hope you all have a great week.  

Erin

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm first! Thanks for the great template, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your zendala - it has a couple patterns i missed along the way.

    and thank you for working so diligently for us every week. i think you are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (i had to stop and think if you were from the united states and if you would understand "the bomb" - haha! it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,People are generally so very wonderful in Blogland... I get letters all the time that are so very wonderful and filled with love. That creates a space where I want to give back as much as possible to all... thanks for the templates and all the time it takes... giving like you do is greatly respected. Love what you have created with your zendala... hope you like my Summertyme Bliss... it went a little out of the 'box' as water does... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked more this week proposal! So... THANK YOU ERIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a beautiful tile. Love it! I also appreciate the dare each week and your prompt responses when I have emailed you. This is an awesome community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Button changed! Nice template too. I'll get to try it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Zendala Erin - glad you're feeling better - thanks again for a wonderful job organising these weekly challenges/dares :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think all the "thanks" go to you, Erin. Your zendala challenge is such a fun part of my week!!! Thank you for all the work you do on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the change of pace with a more simple template; I'm having a ball with it. I really like yours, Erin. Very striking. Also, about "bloggers". I feel like I know the people who blog on a subject I love; even though most of us will never meet in person, I consider each of you a digital friend. Over time we learn more about each other and we care for one another. So, I'm glad you are feeling better, and that you were touched by the number of people who were thinking of you.
    Hugs; Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great zendala template this week Erin, thanks.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the wonderful template this week Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your template and your tile are of great stimulance to create one ( or more) myself. Thank you so much. I love your tiles. They are so artistic. Beautiful done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your zendala is gorgeous Erin. Thank you for taking the time to post these dares that get my creative juices going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Erin I accidentally posted this weeks template on last weeks list. I fixed it though!! Love these templates, thanks so much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for another great one. I too was a bit concerned for you when last weeks dare wasn't up as early as it usually is. At first I thought that you hadn't gotten to it yet, but then I remembered that you are a paramedic. I knew you are west of me but I couldn't remember where and I was scrambling to check that you aren't in Colorado. I was so worried that you had been called to respond to the tragedy there. I was glad to read that all is well with you. Thank you for all of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Erin! This is my first time doing the Zendala challenge and I really enjoyed it - I'll definitely be back :) Good luck with the Relay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks again for another fun zendala dare Erin! I'm really beginning to like these! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just ran across your site!! I love zendalas!! I have been tangling for a while now but just discovered how fun the templates are! Its helpful not having to start with a strict blank piece of paper. I def plan to join in the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought I was too late to enter this week! Hurray! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apologies Erin, I have posted Dare 17 here. Please feel free to delete it as I have now added it to Dare 17. I could blame this little netbook!!! Still having my (quite new)laptop repaired and it has gone back to Dell for the second time!!!! Or, I could blame the fact that I am watching the Olympics at the same time, but lets face it, it was operator error!!! hahaha
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, can you pls erase my post. I posted it in the wrong challenge. Thanks /Ninna

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for this fun site. Sorry, I made a mistake on my previous entry.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did all "P" tangles, just on a whim, on this zendala. It came out cool!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley