Monday, July 9, 2012

Cauliflower "Rice Pilaf"

I have written on this blog from time to time about dabbling in a low carb lifestyle.  Like many people I have struggled with my weight for a long time and tried just about every diet there is.  One day  I heard the firefighters talking about this new diet they were all trying called the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. The basics of this eating regimen are to keep carbs low, don't eat grains, don't eat processed foods, and try to move more.  Ok, ok, there's a little more to it than that but not much.  I like it because it's easy for my husband and I to follow in different situations and I rarely feel deprived.  When we stick to it, we consistently loose weight and feel great.  Like everything else it's the sticking to it part that is the challenge.  


I'm not writing this today to try to convert anybody because it may not be for you but if you are interested in sticking your toes in the low carb pool I have a great recipe for you.  My friend Chris just came up with this and it is the closest thing we have tasted to rice.  It goes great with just about anything and is easy to make so let me know what you think.  P.S.- This tastes divine even if you don't eat low carb and you can sneak some veggies in on the kids!

Who say's cauliflower can't taste good!

Cauliflower "Rice Pilaf"
Recipe by Chris Gossner

The key to this pilaf lies in the toasted almonds. The texture and flavor is what fools you into thinking this is rice. I just ate the leftovers for lunch and it was just as good as the initial meal. Enjoy!

1 Raw Head Cauliflower, run through grater on food processor
1/2-3/4 c Almonds, slivered
1/4 c Butter
1/2 c Diced Onions
2-3 cloves Garlic, chopped, or a teaspoon or two from a jar
About a 1/2 c Chicken Broth, more or less
1 Teaspoon or so Dried Thyme

Toast almonds on cookie sheet (use a piece of foil underneath for ease in pouring them into pan later-and cleanup) in oven on 350 until you smell them and they are just turning brown. Watch them carefully because they will burn quickly if you leave them alone. They should only take 5 minutes or so.

In a skillet saute the onions in the butter. Add the garlic when the onions have been on for a few minutes so it doesn't burn. Add the cauliflower and stir, sauteeing for a minute or so. Add the broth a bit at a time, just enough to make it moisten up the cauliflower. Remember the 'rice' is not really rice, it will not absorb fluids on standing. Cook, stirring every so often, for 5 minutes or so, covering as much as possible. 
Add thyme, salt and pepper, almonds and serve!

7 comments:

  1. sounds good, erin! i'll try it. i'm working on my weight, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Erin! I've been using finely chopped cauliflower as a rice substitute for some time, and it's brilliant - but I've not thought of trying it with other ingredients like the almonds. So I'll definitely be doing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out Better Homes and Garden's 8 carbs or less cookbook. When I first became diabetic about 6 years ago, it became my mainstay. The recipes are awesome things even those who don't count carbs can enjoy. It was a factor in my dropping close to 100 pounds. Barnes and Nobles had it, or possibly Amazon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for the suggestion...I too am recently diagnosed with typeII.

      Delete
  4. That does sound interesting to try. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe...I am really into low carbs as I was diagnosed with typeII Diabetes recently...a genetic thing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I made this and I LOVE it! I even got approval from my husband. I like it better than rice pilaf. Yummers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley