Thursday, June 21, 2012

Diva Challenge #75 - Tangleation Nation: Cadent

This week, like every other week, I eagerly awaited the Diva Challenge.  When I read the post however, I paused.  It has been awhile since I have been truly removed from my comfort zone but this did it.  The Diva had proposed that we do a study of the official Zentangle tangle, Cadent.  We were to play with it, modify it, and if need be abuse it, to put it through it's paces.


I have been tangling for about a year and a half now and I am pretty confident in my skills.  I can create tangles, execute tangles, do Zendala's, add color...blah blah blah.  Tangleations however, have never been my strong point so this challenge was going to be a REAL challenge for me.


In one of Sandy Steen Bartholomew's books she has a page devoted to tangleation hybrids.  It is setup in a grid format and she puts 4 tangles on one side of the grid and 4 tangles on the other side of the grid and then she combines them to create these amazing tangle "hybrids".  I have stared at that page in awe many times but have never felt comfortable enough to tackle something like that.  The second I saw this challenge I thought of that page.  The tangleations I have drawn below are more free form variations than hybrids but it's still all the same idea.  

Tangle: Cadent tangleations

The tangleation with the teardrop shapes was created by using teardrops instead of circles for the grid.  Then I drew a large teardrop across each square and colored the whole thing in with black.  Its amazing that the black can totally "erase" the original tangle.  The tangleation that runs through the middle of the tile was created with a base of triangles.  Then I split each square in half diagonally to create two additional triangles and used a little line work to fill it in.  The final tangleation was created with a base of spirals and some creative coloring.  I think this is my favorite.

Once again, Zentangle (and the Diva!) have forced me to do something I thought I couldn't do, but did.  That's why I come back week after week.  

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is amazing and beautiful! I agree with you, the bottom tangleation with the spiral base is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tangleations! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin I love them ALL! Amazing job and very eye-catching!

    isn't it amazing what one can do when we just allow it to happen? And yes on that same page in Sandy's book.. (I'm pretty sure that's in Yoga for your Brain). I have oft stared at that page too! I have played a little with combining tangles, but usually they are happy accidents.

    Sadelle CZT#7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tangellations. It's a lovely tile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo pretty! I love your design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. erin - i really like the ovals section! and the column you made was pretty creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, creative response to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did an awesome job. Very creative and imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the one with the spirals for cadent!! I have tried to do that from Sandy's book also and had an awful time with it.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley