Friday, April 27, 2012

Zendala Dare #3

This has been another whirlwind week for the Zendala Dare.  I have come up with so many new templates that the hardest part has been deciding which one to use each week!  I want to again thank everyone for their participation and support.  This dare is a lot of work to set up each week but it is so worth it when I see how much everyone is enjoying it.  As each week passes I am getting more and more efficient so I should have all the kinks worked out by next week.  Now onto this weeks Dare.


Zendala Dare #3

Fill the template with tangles of your choosing.




Link for full page template

Link for standard tile and Zendala tile template


This weeks Zendala Dare was a tough one for me.  Not because of the template or the tangles, but because of the materials.  I have not completed many large ZIA's so I haven't played around with the paper needed to make them.  I have no formal art training and have no idea how to properly use most art supplies.  When I am in an art store I'm more of a "Oooohhhh, ahhhhh, look, pretty, buy" sort of girl.  I had decided to make some larger pieces a few months ago and went to my local art store to buy a few pieces of paper.  I basically picked something by look, feel, and color and thought I was good. 


For the first two weeks of the Zendala Dare I have made both a standard and Zendala tile so I decided this week it might be nice to use the full size template which creates a piece that 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches.  I dug out my paper and transferred my image and got to work.  I could tell right away that something was wrong.  The pen did not lay down the ink smoothly and the paper felt "scratchy".  I thought I needed a new pen so I got one and continued.  A little better but not much.  By now I was about a third of the way through and was considering starting over when my husband picked it up and said "Wow, this one's really cool."  Really?  Couldn't you save me from myself and tell me it's not my best work!  So I continued and I finished but the process was not enjoyable.  I like the finished piece but I didn't like the journey I took getting there.  


Tangles:  Splinters, Pystyl, Crescent Moon,
Stumpt, Veezley, Printemps


What I realized is that all that emphasis that Rick and Maria put on using the right materials really does make a difference.  In CZT training Rick and Maria talk about how they spent a whole day at a friends studio playing with pens and papers just to get the right combo.  I never doubted that it was true and have always used the highest quality materials but now I realize that these tiny details are what makes Zentangle so amazing.  Who ever thought that a piece of paper could frustrate someone so much?  Time to invest in some Fabriano Tiepolo paper I guess.  


If you participate in the Zendala Dare please remember to link up below.  I have also created a new page where you can access past Zendala Dare's.


I hope everyone has a fabulous week!

Erin





27 comments:

  1. While you didn't enjoy the journey, the destination sure is a wonderful sight to behold. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your result is beautiful. Also wanted to thank you so much for doing this every week. Your hard work is so much appreciated. I can't wait for every Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your zendala has a lacey look to it and it's beautiful!! I always used Strathmore's Bristol Vellum (not smooth) for my ZIAs and always liked it, but I tried a paper that someone at CZT 7 recommended to me with last week's dare..."Stonehenge" paper. I LOVED working on it!!! Just thought I'd pass that along to you. Can't wait to get started on this week's dare. -_-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What and where may I find some "Stonehenge" paper? I use a small blank journal that I bought at the dollar store here for my zentangles. I love how mine come out. I am still looking for alternates to Micron pens as I press too hard for those pens often and they run out so quickly. Right now, I'm using the new sharpie pens or the Sonix Gel Pens. They work pretty well usually. :)
      Thanks for your suggestions on paper types to use.
      -genie

      Delete
    2. I ordered it online from one of the online art suppliers such as Cheap Joes, Jerry's Artarama, etc. I must have began with a web search for "Stonehenge" paper and followed from there. Sorry not to be more specific, but it was over a year ago and I'm getting old and forgetful. LOL

      Delete
  4. can't wait to get started! i love what you created! several patterns i'm not familiar with yet - it's really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what the paper was? It sounds like my experience trying to tangle on some of the rougher watercolor papers. You might try bristol smooth and see if you like it better. My suggestion, look for a sampler pack of Strathmore ATC paper. It'll give you a canvas, smooth, vellum, and other types of paper to try. The only downside is it doesn't tell you which is which.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't posted any yet, but I have completed the first two, but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed these so much, thanks for all your hard work, excited to get started on this weeks,,thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your zendala was wonderful.. I did get mine done today!! :) I really enjoyed choosing the patterns but sometimes I wonder if another pattern would have been a better choice because it looks busy. :) I also have not started shading because I have no idea how to prevent it from looking like a grey mess. I'm looking forward to next Friday. Thanks for everything Erin.
    -genie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tangled zendala is wonderful! I love all the textures and shading. I really enjoyed doing this zendala also. I'm looking forward to these more each week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking the time to set these up, it is fun giving them a go. Although I found this week tricky, but I got there in the end. Your tangle is lovely, so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your tangle dare! I am always up for a challenge so here goes...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting the zendala dare! You started hosting this just as I was challenging myself to complete a zendala a week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Zendala! It looks so soft and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seem to have trouble getting my comments in, I'll try again. First I want to thank you for taking the time to design, organize, and set up these challenges. I know that is very time consuming. Secondly, I want to say how much I loved your personal zentangle. It's really quite delicate and lovely. I'm sorry you didn't have a very good "journey" making it. Thirdly, I'm having such a good time I posted two, one of which I took a lot of liberty with on the sketch. I hope that's ok. I'm so new a tangling, there must be a lot of rules I don't know about yet. If it's not ok, just take it off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fun, I'm looking forward to participating in this dare. Thanks for hosting this challenge and providing some wonderful templates for us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Erin, many thanks for your weekly template! I am enjoying this so much! I have posted mine and would love to have some comments on my blog-site. I am very new at the blog thing and a comment STILL makes my entire day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erin, I don't find a PDF for this template. I clicked the link for Link for "standard tile and Zendala tile template" and could only click/hold/drag to download but it was PNG and very low res. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Odd. The link to the tile template works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for doing this. I love making these each week, though this week was a little more difficult than the other two for me.

    For my everyday tangling, I use pen sketcher's paper that I got at Blick. I love it. I keep a smaller pad in my purse and a large one at home. Because I really like the freedom to rotate the paper more with these, I've been using cardstock that I use when I print wedding invitations (I'm a graphic designer). I find that I like it better than other art papers that I have gotten, which is really nice because I buy it by the case and it is much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Finally done it! I am using Diva's Challenge's duo tangles on this template.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for starting these challenges...I am a little late this week so I hope this will get published! I'll do better in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am totally enjoying these challenges. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm having so much fun! Thanks, Erin!
    -Lori Kingston

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley