Friday, April 20, 2012

Zendala Dare #2

What can I say about the past week except WOW!  When I decided to throw a couple of templates on my blog I never expected to get the response I received.  So many of you chose to take the Dare while others shared words of appreciation and thanks for the templates.  It just reinforced what a wonderful community both Zentangle and blogging can produce.  Zendala Dare #1 is my second most popular post, only to be surpassed by the post for my tangle Socc.  Before I started the Dare I questioned if there would be enough interest and that question has been answered with a resounding YES!  With that said there are a couple items I would like to address  and some questions I would like to answer before jumping into week 2.  But before I do that let's announce the winner of the giveaway!

The winner of the Zendala tile giveaway is......


DuchyGirl137


Email me your address and I will mail off your prize!

Now for the other stuff:
  • Many people asked me if they can still post an entry even though they do not have a blog and the answer is absolutely.  You can post a link for either a Picasa or Flickr account.  Both are free photo sharing sites that are easy to use.  You can Google both and see which you like.  If you need help setting one up send me an email and I'll help where I can.
  • How do I transfer the template on the computer paper onto a tile?  This video is the easiest and most full proof way I know how.
  • Will you be doing a Zendala Dare every week?  That is the plan.  Barring a catastrophe, illness or amazing shoe sale I will post every Friday morning.
  • Will you be doing a slide show?  As it stands right now I have no plans to incorporate a slide show. I have never done one but I imagine they are a lot of work and I don't know if I can fit that in right now.  
  • Nobody has commented on this but I noticed a size discrepancy on the page with the standard and Zendala tiles.  The thick black line is meant to just barely fit around the outside edge of the tile so that you can easy center the image.  When I converted the image from the format I use to a PDF I noticed that it came out a little smaller.  I think I have adjusted the image to be correct this week but if anyone notices differently please let me know.  I am doing everything I can to adjust issues as they come up but this is still a work in progress.
  • A few people asked me if there will be additional challenges like specific tangles and themes and the answer is yes and no.  I struggled a lot with this one before starting the Dare.  Here is my thinking. Challenges like the Zendala Dare are meant to push you to a place you may not have tried so I think requiring specific tangle or colors can be a good thing.  At the same time I sometimes think the template is enough of a challenge and allows us to just relax and tangle rather than force ourselves to do something that may not feel like "us".  So what I will be doing is incorporating both in a ratio of roughly 3 to 1.  For every three basic templates we will have one Dare that requires something specific.  It may not be a perfect 3 to 1 ratio depending on what I come up with but that is what I am shooting for.  I hope this meets every bodies creative needs.
Ok!  Enough with the technicalities, lets get on with the Dare!

Zendala Dare #2

Simply fill in the template using beautiful tangles.



Link to standard tile and Zendala tile template

This week I had something interesting happen while preparing the Zendala Dare.  I completed the Zendala tile template first.

Tangles:  Skeins, Squid, Tipple, Zedbra, Limpitz


I really loved how it came out so a couple days later I decided to try another one on a standard tile.  I was transferring the image to the tile and began to trace the triangles that are formed into a circle.  I became very frustrated because I thought I had picked up the wrong template (I have a lot of templates laying around!) so I threw it in 
the trash and got ready to print another.  Then I realized that it was the right template.  My tangles had transformed my template so much that I didn't even recognize it anymore.  To me this exemplified why the Zendala Dare is important.  A simple string can offer so many variations that it is beneficial that we share it with others.  It is the essence of inspiration.  When I finally pulled it together this is how tile #2 turned out.


Tangles: Veinz, Antidot, Facets
I hope everyone has a fabulous week!

Erin

Make sure to enter a link below!

32 comments:

  1. Wow, these two tiles are amazing! (thank you for posting the link on how to transfer the outline).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That transfer method is cool - great to know, thanks for posting, Sue! For these zendala templates I use a piece of art paper from my sketch pad and print directly onto it.

      Delete
  2. can't wait to get started! i agree - your 2 tiles are completely different - the second one looks almost embroidered - very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is pretty! I can't wait to get started. Unfortunately, when i printed the PDF, the standard tile template printed to 3.75 inches across. I wouldn't have said anything, but you did ask us to let you know...

    Congratulations to Duchygirl for winning the prize! You lucky duck!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thanks so much for alerting me to the size issue. There is some kind of craziness going on with the conversion between the different documents and I'm not quite savvy enough to get it. I think it is fixed now but let me know if you have any other trouble.

      Delete
  4. Enjoying you Zendalas. Love the designs you are sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI one can also play around with their individual printer settings ( I do it on my mac ) to print designs a certain percentage smaller ... on my mac I can even tell tiles to print 4/page, 6/page and they get reduced further. I discovered the joys of this as I was prepping some zendala strings to print for my Zendala Class tonight! :-)

    Thanks Erin for this wonderful resource!

    Sadelle Wiltshire, CZT#7
    Putney, VT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadelle. I was posting them in the correct size because I wanted to make it easy but I have easily modified items using my mac as well. But I didn't know that you could print multiples. What an awesome tool!

      Delete
  6. I just printed the PDF and the size is perfect now. Thank you for correcting it. I also played with the sizing in Photoshop Elements. I appreciate this week's challenge and will get going right away on it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erin, I really enjoyed this week's zendala. I'm learning to relax into it more. All those repeating sections sometimes make me feel rushed, but I just took it one stroke at a time, and it was done! Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for another great dare. Mine have turned out completely different from yours. It's amazing how we can all go in very different directions with this

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the template this week. Thanks for doing this Dare!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just noticed you used skein in your first design - i'm trying not to look at anyone's zendala until i've done my own, so i was happy to see that i picked well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Erin, great idea! I'll be posting a couple of responses to this dare later this week.
    Also, check my blog post today. I've tagged you!
    http://enthusiasticartist.blogspot.ca/2012/04/tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for another fun template, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Erin, this was a great template and I really enjoyed creating this tile. Thank you for helping me to broaden my horizons!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, my final product is certainly not what I would have seen in the pattern when I started. Amazing how these things evolve, isn't it? Thanks again for the dare!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I posted my "Dare". Great template to work with. I am not sure it is finished yet. I have some ideas for further development but I may not have time to implement them before Friday. So I posted the design with what I have got so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really enjoying the Zendala Dare! Thanks for posting your templates

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky me! I have enter my work for Dare #2 but please give to someone else if I win again. I am looking forward to do Dare #3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy that I found this! To ditto Sue and Ann (post#1): kudos to you and the transfer instructions. By the way, it does work on any paper with any pencil. More Zentangle fun to look forward to! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Erin. This is such a fun weekly inspiration idea that you've come up with. I've loved the zendala tiles since the moment I did my first one and your weekly dare is really going to keep me going on them now. Thanks!! This template was so much fun to do. And, it's so kind and generous of you to do this every week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey erin.. Thanks for another great Zendala template. I had to do two of them this week.. :) One last weekend and the second one yesterday. Both are posted on my blog in the same post to make it easy to find! Enjoy.. :)
    -genie

    ReplyDelete
  21. One more entry for this one, I finished the shading this morning.I really like this shape and I am sure to use it again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a bit slow getting mine up, but it's there now :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm slow too, Sue, but mine's ready :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for supplying the template.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Usually it is possible to upload as numerous images as you can fit into that website, and their (hopefully) quick servers will serve up your pics 24/7 anywhere you should use them. As soon as you determine you would like to join a community you can host images with on-line, all you've to do is go to the Control Panel of their site and follow instructions which contain selecting the image you want to use from your computer and post those photos in to the suitable folder or subfolder of one's hosting account.
    Discover A lot more Here
    Free Picture Hosting

    ReplyDelete
  26. Erin, thanks for setting up these challenges. I'm having a great time working through them, and I love being able to post them here for like-minded artists to see. :)
    -Lori Kingston

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just stumbled across your blog recently and I realized that I had already completed dare #1 without realizing what I was doing. (I found the template on Google images.)
    I am so hooked on this kind of art now. So I downloaded the dare #2 template and used black ink on purple card stock paper. I hope that's ok. I am trying to spread my wings by not adhering to the lines in the template so much, as I think those are some of the prettiest when finished.
    I love your blog. It is so well organized and very fun and inspirational to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Working my way through your templates. I might never "catch up" but it's fun to try

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley