Monday, March 5, 2012

Sunday


It is rare that I hear the husband gush.  A couple of weeks ago he went to a little town north of us called Healdsburg for a business appointment.  He stopped in at the Healdsburg Bakery and Creamery and got a coffee and sticky bun before his appointment.  I have heard about that sticky bun no less than 5 times since then.  He even went as far as to say "It was so good, I wanted to kiss the lady who sold it to me!"  So when he suggested that we have breakfast there this weekend I jumped at the chance to see just how good this sticky bun could be.  


The husband and I rarely get up early on the weekends and when he does, I don't.  Ben is up at 6:30 am during the week and my schedule can be very unpredictable so when I have a chance to sleep in I do.  So for us to be up and out of the house by 9:00 on a weekend is a rarity.  On the weekends the husband likes a big breakfast but I am usually fine with coffee and a sweet so when the bakery/breakfast option was presented I was thrilled.


So Sunday morning we set out for Healdsburg, a little town about an hour north or San Francisco and about 10 minutes from us.  Many people think that Napa is the heart of wine country but I think that Sonoma County has it beat by a mile.  There are fantastic vineyards in the heart of the Sonoma Valley like Benziger Family Winery, Chateau St. Jean,  and Kenwood Vineyards.  As you move north in Sonoma County you get into the Dry Creek Valley where wonderful wineries like J Winery, La Crema Winery and Trentadue Winery are tucked away, and that is where the town of Healdsburg lies.   I am so lucky to be so close to so many little treasures except for one tiny detail, I don't like wine.  I have tried and tried to develop a palate but with minimal success.  I do enjoy late harvest wines but they are very sweet and I don't indulge very often with the exception of the Sonoma County Harvest Fair.  The Harvest Fair is held in October and is a chance for for wineries and restaurants to strut their stuff, and it just so happens that there are lots of late harvest varietals that need to be tested by yours truly.  I guarantee a post in October about my faves.  But I digress.  


When we arrived the bakery was already hoppin.  



The Healdsburg Bakery and Creamery

We ordered up some breakfast.  



The husbands breakfast.  Yes, real men do eat quiche.



My breakfast sandwich with herbed ricotta and ham.  No egg, just
can't do the egg.


The star of the show!  The sticky bun.  And yes, it was delish.


After breakfast we decided to take a walk around the neighborhood.  I have been shopping in Healdsburg too many times to count but have never taken a good look at the architecture.  It was a great opportunity to try out the new camera I got for Christmas.  Thanks husband!


So simple but I love it.  My love probably has a lot to do
with the color.



I love the breezeway on this house.  



I'm a big fan of the architectural details on the roof.  



I can dream, can't I?


After our little walk we headed back to the center of town.  




Downtown Healdsburg



The Square.


We were home by 11:30 so I decided to take care of some things in the garage I had been meaning to get to.  I put some items on eBay, cleaned, did laundry, and then had an impromptu visit from a friend and the weather was amazing (80 degrees in February!) so mid afternoon we decided to head back to Healdsburg and have a beer (well, the husband enjoyed a micro brew, I don't do beer.  This region is really wasted on me.) and a very late lunch/early dinner at a local brewery.  We had walked past the new Moustache Baked Goods several times and decided it was our civic duty to take some of the sweets home.  We tried a few of their cupcakes which were all very good but the big winner was the homemade Oreo.  It's was just like an Oreo but so much better.  It was the perfect end to a perfect day......



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day to me! The pics turned out beautifully! Only problem is, now I want a sticky bun. :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley