Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras

This week the Diva presented a Mardi Gras challenge.  Lots of choices for this one.  Do I go with Mardi Gras colors, beads, feathers, masks, or just excess?  I decided to go with a mix.  I have never been to New Orleans and don't know much about Mardi Gras but my brother John lived in Louisiana for a few years and one year he had a king cake delivered to our house.  


The king cake takes it's name from the biblical three kings which explains why it is traditionally served throughout the season between Christmas and Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins.  It is usually some type of risen bread dough, formed into a ring, baked, and then topped with icing and purple, yellow, and green sprinkles to represent Mardi Gras.  A traditional king cake will also have a small trinket hidden inside and whoever finds the trinket is supposed to buy the next king cake, may be the king or queen for the day, or may be the next person to have a baby.  I guess it depends on what kind of expectations people want to put on you!  The most traditional trinket is a bean but in the the South it is usually a small plastic baby.  


I'm not going to lie.  It did not taste good.  It was overly sweet and mostly stale by the time it arrived but it was a lot of fun looking for that trinket and getting an unexpected Mardi Gras gift from my brother.


So when I think of Mardi Gras I think of king cakes and celebrations so that is what I loosely modeled my tile after.

Tangles: Yincut, King's Crown, Organza,
Quipple, Florz

Have you been to Mardi Gras?

What is your fondest memory?

Erin


19 comments:

  1. Interesting post and your tile is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, this is fantastic! I love the soft colors! Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great.
    And the touch of color is nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! My husband and I went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, many years ago. It was a lot of fun but we will probably never go again. The crowds were horrendous and we had to hang on to each other to keep from being separated and that's actually what I think of when I think of Mardi Gras.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When are we going? John never enourgaged us to come to Louisana. You are right about the cake, it was not too tasty.. The cake came with it's own plastic knife. Tangle is interesting and I wonder what's with the buttons?? MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tile! Love the colors and composition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tile! You're really getting the hang of adding color to your tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this-especially the dash of color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!! I have been to Mardi Gras as I am from here, but you couldnt pay me to go into the city for it, too many crowds

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your piece, it's so colorful, and I love the patterns you used.
    Nope, no Mardi Gras here in Holland.... We do have 'Carnaval', but it's not quite the same. I'm not one for that either. I'm wondering how I would like Mardi Gras, I thing it would be too crowded for me to be honest.
    Anyway, I hope every one is having a great time over there! Or in any case with the zen-tangling ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot all about king cakes..our office almost always has one or two around...but you're right...they're not usually very good...at least not to me! LOL! Love the "royal" tile you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elegant, delicate touch. We have been to New Orleans, loved it, missed the Mardi Gras but bought home heaps of colourful beads.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful memories the challenge brought up for you! What a nice gesture from your brother, even if the cake wasn't very tasty. Your drawing turned out great, love the colors and it definitely has a fun and festive feel to it. I think it was a fun challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really admire your ability to evoke feelings and concepts with abstract design. I struggle with being too literal, so I find your tangles to be very inspiring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your Marti Gras tile, it reflects the party atmosphere perfectly. I did go to Marti Gras back in 1968 when I was in my 20's. So much fun being part of the excitement. Waaay crowded even back then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, and I agree with Jenn about struggling with being too literal. - Your tile is very representative without being literal - LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing your personal mardi gras memory. It made me smile when you said it really didn't taste good, but it was the thought that counted! I love your design with the crown design I never saw that one before. And organza is neat, too. I will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love evwerything about your tile. The composition, choice of tangles and the way you choose to add the color!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful tile and interesting history info, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley