Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Can you see it?

If Zentangle has taught me one thing it is too let go of my perfectionist tendencies and just let things be, at least with my art that is.  This week the Diva had a guest challenger, Diana Hirsch, CZT.  Diana used her opportunity as a guest challenger to raise awareness of the The Four Diamonds Fund.  The Four Diamonds Fund is hosting a dance-a-thon to help to raise money for pediatric cancer.  You can find all the details here.


The challenge is to use the funds diamond logo as a string.  So far, no big deal.  The second part of the challenge is to use only diamond like tangles to complete the tile.  Really?  Nothing curvy, curly, organic or naturey (I know that's not an actual word, but I'm frustrated so I get to do things like that!)?  But that's why it's called a challenge, right?  


Instead of diving in I decided to answer some emails, do laundry, go out to lunch, take a walk with the hubby, cook dinner, make a dessert and watch a movie.  You would have thought I had a biology test to study for.  I decided to peruse my blog roll and saw that my friend and fellow blogger Carole Ohl, CZT of Open Seed Arts had written a post very similar to how I was feeling but she got her tile done so what was I waiting for?


Now don't get me wrong, I love the Diva's challenges and truly appreciate all the work that she and her guests put into them but sometimes when I look at them I feel like I am starting on my first Zentangle ever.  I feel like I only have three tangles in my arsenal and I have never drawn a string before.  It's a weird twist of human nature that we get halted like this, and some of us more than others.   So once again I sat at my work table....(wait for it).......and watched 3 episodes of Parenthood on Netflix.  Maybe the challenge can wait until tomorrow? 


That was starting to sound good but then I took an updated look at my blog roll and saw that my friend and ambulance partner Jenn of Girl Defying Gravity had posted a challenge tile.  Jenn was one of my star students (yes Chris, Greg, Andrea, and Margarito and Su, you were all stars too!)  in my first Zentangle class that I conducted last week.  I'm glad she has taken to Zentangle so readily but trying to upstage the teacher, really?  Not only had she participated in the challenge but her tile was really beautiful. You can check it out here.  (While your there check out the tile with the J in the same post.  That is her second Zentangle EVER.  Unbelievable!)   Oh no, this would not do.  I will own this challenge!


I began by printing out the logo and then transferring it to a tile using pencil lead and an embossing tool.  This is what the completed tile looked like.


Tangles: Florz, Ambler, Cubine

I thought the completed tile was ok but I felt like it was missing something.  Like I said at the beginning of this post, Zentangle has helped me to just let things be and as hard as I wanted to follow that sentiment I just couldn't.  Then I remembered reading a post the other day, I wish I could tell you who's, but the artist recommended photographing a piece to see it in a different light.  So that what I did and it hit me like a brick.  It was clear what needed to be done.  Such a little change made such a big difference.




So, can you see it?

Do you think it made a difference or should I have left it alone?

Let me know, I value your feedback.

Thanks, Erin

23 comments:

  1. It took me a minute to see it....however, I agree with you it does make a difference, in a spacial
    way. I love it! Cubine was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our minds think alike. That is what I would have added as well. I had guessed to add that to the background and then I saw that you did. I love the way it has dimension and perspective.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool dimensional tile. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your process! And yes, it made a difference. Fresh eyes are wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found it and yes I'd agree it's just the right finishing touch - subtle but what a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the dimensions! And finishing the pattern underneath makes it even better. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tangle certainly has a wonderful architectural quality, I also love how someone else can spur us on to do even better and more! Adding the continuation of your background pattern did add just the right punch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I see the change and it was definitely worth it! Really makes those diamonds float. Beautiful work again. I visited Jenn's blog and fell in love with her writing style and great tiles - I'll be visiting her again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simplicity and boldness of your tile! The diamonds do seem to 'float.' Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Took me a while, but finally found it! I like it better with it now that I realize the difference. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the depth you were able to achieve! Both are great, the first looks like an exotic divided serving dish, but the second has an otherworld feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous tile!! LOVE the dimension you've achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For all the procrastinating (and I can totally identify with you on that!), it turned out beautifully! The minor change you made made all the difference - I love the depth. I have been practicing some pretty spectacular avoidance techniques on this one, too - I think you've inspired me to actually finish mine! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! So very 3-dimensional. Your addition absolutely makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work! It took a minute to find the addition, but what a difference it made...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pizzazz! Yes, I like the 2nd tile also, it's fair popping off the paper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, the difference is evident and an improvement...I love the dimensionality of your tile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun to see both tiles! I'm glad you posted both... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. fantastic, and yes, the change was good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. A really strikingly beautiful tile! I agree, the few extra lines in the center just made it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both are beautiful...the second one is more outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, i see it now. Great job, you matched the lines up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, it is obvious now!!! Since it was suppose to be open to see the bottom, it should have the background design showing thru!!!
    Great Job,

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley