Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Something different: Chipotle-Grilled Pork Tacos

I am a big fan of food.  Eating it, reading about it, cooking it, reviewing it.  You name it, I love it.  So tonight when I was cooking one of my favorite go to recipes, Chipotle-Grilled Pork Tacos, I thought "Why haven't I put this on my blog so everyone else can enjoy it too?"


I like this recipe for a few reasons.  First, it came from an America's Test Kitchen magazine full of recipe cards for 30 minute meals.  It really is fast and there is very little preparation or clean up.  Second, it's healthier than my usual taco fetish.  When I eat tacos, I do it up right.  Beef, sour cream, avocado, lots of cheese, and of course a fried tortilla, and tons of calories!  This version of tacos is a little healthier in that the tortillas are charred on the stove, the pork is lean, and there are not a ton of extras.  Third, this recipe is very pantry friendly.  I keep the pineapple and chipotles on hand in the pantry or freezer (chipotle in adobo freezes really well in a ziploc bad and you can get enough to make this recipe 3 times from one little can!), I buy pork when it is on sale and freeze it, and I usually have some variation of the other ingredients in the fridge.  The recipe calls for green onions but I have substituted shallots, red onion and yellow onion without issue.  As for the pork, the recipe calls for pork tenderloin and it works great, but it can be pricey and usually a whole tenderloin is too much for me and the hubby.  I regularly substitute boneless center cut pork chops that I buy in a bulk pack.  They freeze well, defrost quickly, and taste great in this.  Fourth, its economical.  If you shop smart (and I'm not even good at it) you can easily feed three people for about $10!  Fifth, and perhaps most importantly, the husband really likes these.  They are a regular request.  So without further ado:

Chipotle Grilled Pork Tacos
Photo courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

Chipotle-Grilled Pork Tacos
From the June/July 2008 Cook’s Country
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 (8 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained and chopped 1/4 cup
juice reserved
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
1 (8 oz) bag coleslaw mix
3 scallions, sliced thin
salt
2 pork tenderloins (1 1/2 to 2 lbs total), sliced in half lengthwise
12 corn tortillas
1. Whisk mayonnaise, pineapple juice, cilantro, garlic and chipotle in a large bowl; reserve 1/4 cup mayonnaise mixture. Add pineapple
chunks, coleslaw mix, scallions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to bowl with remaining mayonnaise mixture and toss to combine
2. Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt. Rub with
reserved mayonnaise mixture and grill over hot fire until browned all over and meat registers 145 degrees; about 6 minutes. Transfer to
cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
3. Grill tortillas over hot fire until lightly charred, about 15
seconds per side. Slice pork thin, arrange on tortillas, and top with
coleslaw.
Serves 4
Note:  These are very tasty served with a little cheese and some lime.


Give them a try and let me know what you think.  I'm eager to hear your reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! Now I'm craving pork tacos and its only 8am! I might have to try that recipe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley