Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Purple Haze

This week the Diva decided to challenge us with a little bit of the color purple.   It has been a while since I mixed it up with some color so I was up for the challenge.  I considered using pens but didn't think I had enough options in my arsenal, so I thought about using my watercolor pencils but then realized they were in the car.  And the car was outside (where else would it be?).  And outside it was cold.  And inside it was warm.  OK, no watercolor pencils for this one!  A few weeks back I purchased a set of Angora watercolors and thought this might be a good time to break them in.  Now, I know only a little about color theory, and even less about watercolors so I was kind of flying by the seat of my pants.  I started by creating some overlapping circles.  I then used my water reservoir paint brush (I love that thing) to paint one of the circles using a true purple from the palette.  From there I just put a whole lot more purple on the palette and began adding one color, then painting the next circle.  I then added another color to the previous mixture and painted another circle so that all the circles were just variations of that first purple.  I waited a few moments for it to dry and then tangled and shaded it. 

Tangles:  Snookums, River, Tortuca, Flux,
Twilight Zone, Skeins, Limpitz, Printemps,
Ramy, Worms, Rain, Onamato, Black Pearlz

I loved all the variation I was able to get from the watercolors.  Because of my inexperience the color was a little uneven and it ended up working like unintentional shading.  I think it gives the tile a lot more character.  Now that I have gotten over my fear of working with "real" watercolors I think I might go a little bigger and try a ZIA.

What is your favorite color medium to work in?

17 comments:

  1. Your tile is wonderful! Thanks for the tips on using the intense pencils. I'm totally a newcomer to color paints/pencils also. My only real work with color is in my collages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I have seen your collages and trust me the paints are way easier! Your work is amazing!

      Delete
  2. I have to laugh about the pencils in the car. Been there many times. Sometimes using what you have sitting right in front of you leads to some fun results! In this case, most definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Erin. I love all your variations of purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great balls of colours! Well done with your mixing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! and I really like the way the color is more intense in areas like shading. Very, very fun and lively, and yet calming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The watercolors give a great effect.
    A lovely Zentangle !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! I love what happens when you just play with the toys in front of you! (and I can SO relate to the "pencils in the car" - LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun your process sounds!!! LOL! Great results too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tile and the color turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful tile! Love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tile, there are quite a few tangles that I have not tried before so I will add them to my list to try. Your watercolors are fabulous. Thank you for leaving a message on my blog, it was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tile. Your color play really adds alot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your watercolors are wonderful and really enhance your beautiful tangles. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for visiting my blog and the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley