Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just do it!

Do people ever tell you to just do it?  My mom is always saying this in some variation, "Just get started and see", "Just try it, what's the worst that can happen?"  It's a little weird to me that this is her philosophy on so many things because it definitely did not carry over to me.  Maybe she wasn't this way when I was growing up.  Maybe her stance has changed as she has gotten older.  In the end it doesn't really matter, what matters is that I am not a "just do it" kind of girl, and in the creative world that can sometimes be a big stumbling block.

My mother is one of those people who can start a project without having it totally thought out.  She will redecorate a room and start with the wall color, decide a month later on the curtains then decide to change the closet and doors.  Six months into it she will decide on different furniture.  A year after she started she will have this beautiful room that for her caused almost no anxiety.

This...is...so...not...me.  I have to have every detail planned out well in advance and since home decor is not my strong suit I get almost paralyzed by the process.  To be honest, my house has almost no pictures because I'm worried I will pick the wrong frames to go with furniture I might buy in a year. When I purchase furniture, it is all picked by my sister-in-law who works in interior design because I trust her judgement, not my own.   I don't paint walls because choosing color on a large scale scares me. What if it doesn't match the carpet that might not match the furniture that might not match the picture frames?  If a room needs to be painted, I pick a bunch of colors but my mother makes the ultimate decision.    The one big decision I did make was picking the exterior color of my house and that turned out great so maybe I am getting somewhere, who knows.

This has translated into my crafting life as well.  I have been an accomplished beader for many years now so you would think most of the stumbling blocks are gone, right?  Nope.  Still there.  Still taunting me.  I have many sketchbooks filled with ideas for future projects that I never started because I was worried my designs might not work out.  What if I have to start over?  What if I have to change the size of the beads half way through?  When I think about it as I am writing this, who cares?  What's the big deal?  Now that I am writing this all down I think this may be an issue with perfectionism and not motivation but I'll save that for another post.

So why all the rambling about not being able to "just do it"?  I have been thinking about adding color to my Zentangles for a while now.  I love the graphic quality of black and white Zentangles but as I see more and more examples of the colored ones the thought of adding a spot of color becomes more and more intriguing.  I purchased Tombo markers and a set of Prismacolors colored pencils (the biggest one they make!).  I have Microns in every color and just bought a set of Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils.  I have researched Copic and Letraset markers.  I have all this color, all these options, and have NEVER put on speck of color on a Zentangle.  All because I'm worried it won't turn out "right".  So today when I was looking through my pens for a new 01 Micron to sign my Diva challenge tile and came across a bronze gel pen, I said "Today is the day!"  I quickly put a mark on the tile so there was no going back.  I filled in a few more spaces and my first Zentangle with color was born.

Tangles:  Buttercup, Puf, Cubine

I  don't hate the color but I don't love it either.  I guess I would just classify it as "interesting".  This tile  is also the Diva's 36 th challenge ,"Kiss my grids" where we had to draw a string over a grid pattern.  I love the tile, like the color, but most importantly I am ecstatic that I finally "just did it" and got going in a new direction.

Now that I have written this post and acknowledged my lack of motivation regarding my house and art I feel I can push forward.  This week I am going to create at least one more tile with color and post it.  I don't have to worry about planning projects for my house because as soon as my mother reads this she will be calling with a list!  I'm going to get started on something and I'm not going to worry how it's going to turn out in the end.  I'm going to JUST DO IT!

I challenge you to all pick one thing and "just do it" this week.

Big or small, it doesn't matter.

Let me know what you choose and how it turns out.

I will keep you posted.

Erin

7 comments:

  1. Loving it - loving the color and the philosophy. The sound you hear is me applauding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tile the color is wonderful. Thanks for your challenge that's my goal for the holiday weekend. I'm going to try and just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! Whether your tile worked or not (I think it's beautiful!), congrats on taking that huge step.

    I just ordered a bike, even though I haven't ridden one for 18 years! I'll probably look silly and feel ridiculous, but I'm doing it, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect placement of the color. Not enough to pull attention away from the tangles but enough to provide focal points that lead the eye around the tile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You not only did it you used a METALLIC color, too! I think there just may be a wild woman in there trying to get out!! LOL It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! We all need to challenge ourselves - put ourselves out there- break our boxes, no, shatter our boxes. We all have them. I'm new to tangling so enjoy everyone's creations since I feel they are so much more accomplished than mine. No color for me yet because I'm still enjoying just seeing the patterns. However, when I am ready for a spot of color, I want to do it just like you did - subtle and non-invasive - it doesn't over power the tangles. Great first step! What's next?

    By the way, I write a home decorating instructional blog and have for years. You might find it interesting/helpful (even if you do have all this family help waiting in the wings): www.yourdecoratinghotline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea for just doing it - I'm right there with you when it comes to color - this one turned out great - may just have to follow your lead and just do it!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley