Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sorry Tripoli, it was me, not you

Last week Tripoli and I broke up.  It was a little ugly and I aired our dirty laundry on my blog.  Not my proudest moment but things like this happen in a relationship.   I tried to compromise.  I tried to see his side of it but in the end we just didn't work out.  Then I saw that Tripoli was out on the town with a lot of other people.  He was showing up on blogs, in Flickr streams, and in lots of other people's art.  I have to admit, I was jealous.  So I gave Tripoli a call and we met for coffee.  We talked, we cried, and in the end we decided we missed each other and decided to give it another shot.  I think this new relationship has a lot of promise.

Tangles: Tripoli, Rick's Paradox, Facets

When I teach beading classes and people are trying to learn a new stitch it is almost inevitable that about halfway through the class someone  will lament that "they just don't get it."  Many times I will have them turn their directions over and tell them to just look at their piece "until they see it."  I try to get them to see the stitch in a different way, view the pattern from their own standpoint.  Directions are written from the standpoint of the artist and sometimes people just don't visualize something the same way the artist does making it difficult to understand the directions.  If they just look at their own piece with a fresh view they can sometimes visualize that pattern from their own standpoint, helping them to move past their obstacle.

I decided to take my own advice and just sit and look at Tripoli.  All the directions I had seen suggested drawing the triangles in a circle pattern, but when I really looked at it I saw lines of triangles.  I drew one line, adding a bit of curve to make it interesting.  Then added corresponding lines that matched the original. I continued with these lines until it was my desired width.  I added a couple curved lines to act as my strings and then filled in the remainder.  I think the end is a huge improvement from my previous attempt and I'm glad Tripoli and I can be friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley