Sunday, July 24, 2011

I think I fell out of my creative box!

This weeks Diva Challenge was to create a Zentangle that a fairy would like to live in.  I wanted to try something new, something that wasn't my norm, something outside of my creative box.  This is what I came up with and showed you in my previous post.

Tangles:  Artoo, Y.A.F., Apeel, Crescent Moon, Mooka

I like it, don't get me wrong, but I had this nagging feeling that it wasn't what I was hoping for.  I kept telling myself "It's good to get out of your box!' but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I needed to try again.

I went to lunch with my mother and showed it to her, looking for validation I guess. She looked at it and in her best supportive motherly voice said "It's nice, I like the snail.........but it's just not you." I got on the ambulance and showed it to my partner Jenn and she said "I like it......it's so different from what you normally do."  My husband looked at it and said "Did you draw that one?"  (Yes, do you know any other tanglers that live here honey?)

That's when I came to terms with the fact that while it is important to step out of your creative box, sometimes it's important to know when you should stay in it.  So I took a deep breath and reattempted my original vision.

Tangles:  Printemps, Pokeleaf, Skeins, Dex,
Antidot, Hollibaugh, Ahh, 


Whew!  I feel so much better now.  Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I love your new zentangle. It's marvelous. And I really appreciate your insights. This was a fun challenge, but I felt torn between creating a zentangle and drawing a "picture" of what I was trying to convey. It is often difficult to find the right balance between stepping up to the current challenge, while at the same time maintaining the free-wheeling experience of tangling. I'm impressed that you really thought about it and was able to find that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this piece with the globe for a couple of months now, since I first found it. I just finished a piece inspired by it. I gave you credit and linked back to this page. It's at http://www.misssrobin.blogspot.com/2014/02/a-few-recent-zia-pieces.html if you'd like to see it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

 

The Bright Owl All rights reserved © 2012

I am a HowJoyful Design by Joy Kelley